The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
I was interested in both the Cockpit and Blackbird for many reasons, not the least of which is the large window calendar. On the Cockpit (Caliber 49) the date is at the 3 o'clock position, not 12 o'clock as is the Blackbird. However, I just need some technical advice, as I can't understand how the Blackbird with the calendar at 12 o'clock can display such a big date. It looks further in from the edge of the dial, and I can't understand how all the numbers could fit on the calendar dial of the movement with that small of a circumferance. Is each of the two digits on a separate dial, or both on one? I aso don't see how the Blackbird digits could be on separate dials due to the positioning of the calendar. Forgive me if I am not clear about my question, or how I am wording it, I'm also not sure if "dial" is the correct term for where the calendar numbers reside.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject: bigg date
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:23 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
I saw the "exploded" pic of a cockpit, and it has 2 date dials under there obviously, one has 0,1,2,3 the other has all 31 days dont know about the other models, though ...cockpit has excellent reputation, as you will see on this forum......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I can see how the 2 date dials work on the Cockpit, because the calendar is at the 3 o'clock position. But when the calendar is at the 12 o'clock position, it is in such a position that would only allow one calendar dial to pass by the aperture. I can't see how they could split up the 2 digits on the calendar, nor can I see how they would fit all the numbers around the circumference if it were only one dial. Maybe I am missing something simple, it can't be all that complicated. Can it? Thanks for the info.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject: big date
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:51 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
ALL IT REALLY REQUIRES IS TWO TINY, THIN WHEELS NEXT TO EACH OTHER WITH THE NUMBERS ON THEM..REMEMEBER, ONE OF THEM ONLY HAS O,1,2,3 ON IT SO ITS REAL SMALL.. OF COURSE, THE OTHER HAS ALL THE NUMBERS REQUIRED, AND WOULD BE AS LARGE AS THE DIAL......

Post subject: Re: big date
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

toddb wrote:
ALL IT REALLY REQUIRES IS TWO TINY, THIN WHEELS NEXT TO EACH OTHER WITH THE NUMBERS ON THEM..REMEMEBER, ONE OF THEM ONLY HAS O,1,2,3 ON IT SO ITS REAL SMALL.. OF COURSE, THE OTHER HAS ALL THE NUMBERS REQUIRED, AND WOULD BE AS LARGE AS THE DIAL......

I can understand how that would work on the Cockpit, as the calendar is at the 3 o'clock position. However, on the Blackbird, the Calendar is at 12o'clock, so the digits have to pass under the aperture horizontally instead of vertically as on the Cockpit. I guess that would mean that all the numbers from 1-31 would have to be on one wheel for the Blackbird, but I don't see how that could be big enough to hold all the numbers, as the aperture is so far in from the edge that the circumference is rather small, and the numbers are quite large. Hope I am explaining myself clearly, pardon me if I sound like a dummy.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Spacewise, I don't see why there couldn't be two dials for the date on the Blackbird. It's surely enough space to have them both. Also, I believe that both having "single-digit-days" as the 3rd displayed as "03" and the small separation bar between the first and the second digit indicates that there are two date dials.

However, I have never cracked a Blackbird open. If someone has, I'll be happy to revise my thought. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:06 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Haven't seen the specifics of the Blackbird, but don't think it will be difficult. The Cockpit actually has three sets of digits on the inner ring (0,1,2,3) and two sets on the outer ring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thank You all for your replies! I finally found out the answer to my mystery today at my AD. I was surprised he was open after I finished work, but longer hours due Xmas. Anyways, in the window they had: Blackbird, Steelfish, Colt II Quartz (my 3 favourite)...and an Avenger Skyland Special Edition Blacksteel! I digress.
Anyway, I asked about the movement in the Blackbird, and I think also in the Bentley 6.75. Anyway, with the calendar at the 12 o'clock, it does have two wheels, and they are on either side of the aperture. I couldn't understand how 2 wheels would fit, but in the body of the watch, there is actually more space underneath the bezel, which I hadn't thought of. One of the wheels is 0,1,2,3 and the other 0,1-9. I still marvel at the engineering, of course now I know why the calendar is so far from the edge of the dial, beneath the Breitling Wings and the name. Only the second time I actually tried on a Blackbird, I am pretty convinced it's the one for me.
Cheers,
Carl