Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Breitling branding???
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:37 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
I’ve been into mechanical watches for about 3 years. To a large extent, my venture into horology has replaced my interest in firearms – perhaps I just love precision engineering. It’s certainly much easier to take a nice timepiece across borders – though you can’t shoot a deer with the bastards!

At any rate, whilst my collection always hovers around 5 pieces – Panerai, compulsory Daytonas etc., which are bought and sold when I feel like it, the Bentley GT is the mainstay. To me, it’s the ultimate machined steel beast – like wearing a revolver to business meetings.

I think the GT is an overlooked masterpiece. But Breitling shouldn’t have written “Bentley” on it. It should be called the “Chronofighter” – that’s what it is, a bad ass Navitimer Fighter in a flashed up Chronomatic case.

I tried to love a Zenith Defy Extreme, and I even let the wallet bleed on a Vacheron Constantine – but the GT, inaptly named/branded as it is, represents the pinnacle of chronographs IMHO.

Its like a ’68 Lambo Miura – real class, but perhaps only appreciated by purists?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:46 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I agree - I've got the 6.75 which is pretty much identical but without the 'day' - and aside from the fact that I walk with a limp when I wear it, it's a mighty fine piece....

As to the Lambo, and above all the earlier Lambos, I won't deny the attraction in terms of sheer style - but yikes, in terms of reliability, there are better!!

For me the two are sadly rare to find together - style and sheer engineering perfection don't necessarily go hand in hand...take BMWs for example 8)

By the way - welcome to the forum :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Carlos wrote:
It’s certainly much easier to take a nice timepiece across borders – though you can’t shoot a deer with the bastards!

Of course you can. Throw a 6.75 or a SA at the deer and he'll die instantly from the ballistic weight.

:wink:

Post subject: kill a deer?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:17 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Thats absurd to shoot one, or throw a watch at a little deer like bambi.. RUN the bitch over with your Lambo !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:24 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Carlos wrote:
I’ve been into mechanical watches for about 3 years. To a large extent, my venture into horology has replaced my interest in firearms – perhaps I just love precision engineering. It’s certainly much easier to take a nice timepiece across borders – though you can’t shoot a deer with the bastards!

At any rate, whilst my collection always hovers around 5 pieces – Panerai, compulsory Daytonas etc., which are bought and sold when I feel like it, the Bentley GT is the mainstay. To me, it’s the ultimate machined steel beast – like wearing a revolver to business meetings.

I think the GT is an overlooked masterpiece. But Breitling shouldn’t have written “Bentley” on it. It should be called the “Chronofighter” – that’s what it is, a bad ass Navitimer Fighter in a flashed up Chronomatic case.

I tried to love a Zenith Defy Extreme, and I even let the wallet bleed on a Vacheron Constantine – but the GT, inaptly named/branded as it is, represents the pinnacle of chronographs IMHO.

Its like a ’68 Lambo Miura – real class, but perhaps only appreciated by purists?

In my opinion, I think the Motors T has the better looking dial/bezel. I just don't care for the bezel on the GT or the 6.75.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
I used to sort of agree with you about not using the Bentley name. However, I have seen a few Bentleys lately, and also looked at their website. The cars are amazing. The grill is amazing. I guess the only way to say it, is that the Bentley is the Breitling of motorcars. There will always be Rolls Royces and Jaguars, just as there will always be Rolexes. I just happen to think that the sophistication, class and design of the Bentleys and Breitlings makes them a superb and most appropriate combination. I also think that although the Rolex is, and has always been, a great timepiece, there is nothing like the look and feel of a Breitling.
To me, the Breitling just has the "X Factor", which no other watch has.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
100% agree.