The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
I notice that the calendar on the Blackbird has white numerals on a black background, to match the dial. Most, if not all, of the other Breitlings have black numerals on a white background. The white background seems to be used even though the dial is a different colour. I personally think watches that have the calendar background matching the dial colour look much better. That is getting picky, but one of the reasons I don't like calendars is that in a lot of cases they form too much contrast with the dial. I think that is one reason why the Blackbird is so outstanding, I just wish they would do the same thing with the Cockpit as well as other models. In case of the Cockpit with the large calendar, I would have purchased one if it were not for the white background on the calendar.
Cheers,
Carl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:40 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
I sort of agree.

The day & date readouts on my Bentley GT display maroon letters & numerals against a white background. Silver or metallic red on a black background would be much cooler.

Indeed, this, along with the cross-marketing crap with what was once a great British car manufacturer, presents as a fault with what is otherwise, design wise, a Chronomatic on roids – which is obviously exceptionally cool.

But I have to admit, when I see ‘Ling-Men’ with their arm clocks, I laugh at their lack of contrasting guilloche sub-dials, and I’m grateful that at least I know what day it is!

From a design perspective, I think the day & date displays on Breitlings tend to be a bit ‘old-worldly’, and often slightly out of place on the dial. But I like a lot of contrast on dials, so I can deal with it.

Notwithstanding that, I saw a mint Blackbird the other day, and it looked awesome. I guess one of the great things about being a watch enthusiast is the breadth of designs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:41 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
You are right, a calender background in dial colour looks a lot better. But in many cases that is not readable anymore.

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:14 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
i have to agree with thomas. while it might be more aesthetically pleasant at times, i think having a uniform dial and date wheel color might be very hard to read at times. that, and i like the contrast that the white offers. :lol: