Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Haggling?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:47 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Still chasing after a superocean heritage, and want both straps with it. Talked to a dealer yesterday who offered it to me for the ocean racer strap price with both the strap and braclet (which retails at 300 pounds). Pretty good deal as far as a discount goes...

Problem is I want to finance part of the watch with a large down payment. He told me (this was over the phone btw) that they coudnt offer the discount on financed watches as they pay a commision when that happens.

Is this true? I told him Id think about it as I need to sell my gucci watch first (have it on ebay for 300 pounds and no bids!!! kind of shocked really as its 850 new). If/when I go back should I be firm on the deal quoted for cash even though financing part of it - I dont think its unreasonable as the discount they are actually giving me is their cost of the bracelet, not retail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I'm not sure what you mean by financing.. do you mean pay with a credit card? Or is this a dealer financing of some sort?

Post subject: Re: Haggling?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:54 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

gdbale wrote:
Still chasing after a superocean heritage, and want both straps with it. Talked to a dealer yesterday who offered it to me for the ocean racer strap price with both the strap and braclet (which retails at 300 pounds). Pretty good deal as far as a discount goes...

Problem is I want to finance part of the watch with a large down payment. He told me (this was over the phone btw) that they coudnt offer the discount on financed watches as they pay a commision when that happens.

Is this true? I told him Id think about it as I need to sell my gucci watch first (have it on ebay for 300 pounds and no bids!!! kind of shocked really as its 850 new). If/when I go back should I be firm on the deal quoted for cash even though financing part of it - I dont think its unreasonable as the discount they are actually giving me is their cost of the bracelet, not retail.

That is correct at my AD, you either purchase the watch with a AD credit card, then you don't get a discount because they are already financing the watch with their own credit, so a discount is out of the question. Or you pay for it in cash, or with your own personal card, then you get a discount.

PS - A Gucci Quartz and a Breiting Automatic are two different leagues. The Gucci is mass produced, so if you want to get anything for it you have to go really low on the price. PS - Just my ebay experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:06 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the replys....

Most jewelery stores in the UK offer 0% financing on purchaces over a certain amount... and offer them from as long as 24 months. Im wanting to put down a large down payment (they only require 10%) and pay the rest within a year... Looking like the discount may be out of the question as per financing, but I guess Ill just have to wait and see if I can get away with it.

As for the gucci watch - Its time to step it up, great looking watch and probably wouldnt have looked to upgrade if it was just waterproof... Really annoying when you have a watch that can't get wet (its only good to 30m). Just supprised that a $2000 watch has trouble selling for $600 used. Lesson learned, get something that keeps its value!!!!

Btw - if anyone is intrested in buying a gucci watch.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:52 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
gdbale,

Yep, you won't get a discount if you use an AD's finance deal (0% or otherwise). The reason for this is because your AD will be using a finance company themselves in order to be able to offer you the deal in the first place. And that service is something that the AD has to pay for - typically in the UK it is between 12 and 16%. As I UK buyer myself I've only ever managed to get a discount when paying out-right, so if an AD was to offer you a 10% discount AND then also offer you a finance deal, then in effect it is costing the AD upwards of 20 to 25%.

For example, I know my AD very well and have bought well over 10 premium watches from him over the years, and even though he gives me nice discounts, it's only when I pay outright. (Obviously in the interest of smooth cash flow I've asked about 0% finance, but it becomes a little less attractive when the discount vanishes!! Hence I always buy outright as I like a little bit of a deal!)

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:33 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Most AD's here in the states will use an outside source for financing (just like a car). They usually have some special low % offers for 1 or 2 year terms, so you can use them and still get a discount since the AD gets paid in full by the financier. Some of the companies are Wells Fargo, Citi Financial, etc....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Here when you finance they still give you discounts on electronics and stuff as far as i know.. never tried at a jeweler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:55 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Shouldn't be an issue. Regardless of financing, you should still get the discount. It wouldn't affect the AD unless it's in-house financing.(Example: "90 days same as cash" or "0% for 90 days")

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:41 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Sorry to interfere, but You should never buy a luxury article, You have to finance. For expensive things, like houses or cars, financing is acceptable, but never ever buy a watch or jewelery, that You cannot afford without financing. That can bring You into big difficulties. I know, americans finance nearly everything, but You can see, what the real estate financing crisis is doing at the moment.

So I recommend to wait a little bit, and buy, what and when You can afford it.

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:40 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Alien wrote:
Sorry to interfere, but You should never buy a luxury article, You have to finance. For expensive things, like houses or cars, financing is acceptable, but never ever buy a watch or jewelery, that You cannot afford without financing. That can bring You into big difficulties. I know, americans finance nearly everything, but You can see, what the real estate financing crisis is doing at the moment.

BG
Thomas

I was actually going to say this in my original post to the OP, but I figured he was just gonna call me a stupid american. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Alien wrote:

BG
Thomas

I couldn't agree more, though I guess it's everyone's choice.

As far as discounts on financed items are concerned - with a little experience on this from a vendor standpoint there is always a cost associated with 'discount' financing. If the deal id for low interest / no interest or free financing then you will not get the same kind of deal on the price as if you paid cash - if the financing is at or close to prevailing rates then there is no reason why you shouldn't get the discount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:20 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Alien wrote:

BG
Thomas

As I was reading through this thread, I was thinking the same thing... if you can't pay cash for it, you are not quite ready for it. This is a good way to get yourself into financial trouble and hurt your credit rating. Wait a little longer and it will feel much better to buy your Breitling cash and walk out of the store debt free.

I know everyone has the right to make their own choices, but I would personally never consider purchasing a vanity item that I can't pay cash for. Same goes for credit cards, pay them off every month, or don't use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:34 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I agree with the "no finance" argument to a certain extent. Personally I always buy my watches out-right (as like I said above that's the only way I get a discount!), but that would necessarily mean I wouldn't consider a 0% finance deal as it can help to smooth your cash flow a little. Obviously if I did go down that route I'd be sensible about it and make sure that I could ALWAYS pay it off if my circumstances changed, but finance per se is not necessarily a bad thing.

Like almost everything in life, if you are sensible about things you should be OK.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:01 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

too be honest I agree with everyone about the no-financing... yet Im going to go through with it, just a cash flow thing - going to put a big enough down payment so that the monthly payments are pretty small, and incase of a problem would be easily controlled. Its just due to the 0% financing that Im going to go through with it - means I can get the watch now rather then around summertime.

Btw - tried on the superocean heritage w/ steel braclet today and instantly loved it. Tried on a planet ocean just to compare but didnt like it half as much... Will see if I can get the braclet free, or maybe at worst the rubber strap thrown in.

1 month and itll be mine!!!

Cheers for all the replys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:28 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I did a one year financing deal on my SA and dont have any issues. They just make you pay a min. monthly payment ( like a credit card ) and you have to have it paid off by the one year mark or you will pay prime interest rate....about 25%! for the full year. Just make sure you can pay it off and its not a bad thing at all! Plus you will have a good line of credit reported on your credit bureau. Caution on that... too many lines of credit will damage your personal credit.