It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:45 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
Admin,

It seems that a lot of you guys keep talking about dress watches fitting UNDER your cuffs. What good is that ? if nobody can see the thing including yourself it's wasted. I got the snaps on one of my leather jackets tightened at a leather shop so I could snap it ABOVE my LINGS ! I hate when a cuff falls down over the Ling. That's for guys with little WAFER watches like a Rolex.

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:49 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Acceldebt,

I wear the watch roughly a half inch from my wrist. The watch itself is over 40mm. If I wear the shirt ABOVE the watch, then the shirt will stop nearly four inches from my wrist. Wouldn't that look strange? I think the benefit of having the watch fit under the cuff is that you can wear a normal length shirt without discomfort. Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
There are times for showing off your watch and other belongings and there are times when it's only tacky to do it. Trying to show off the watch as much as possible with a suit on would certainly go under the tacky label.

I agree with Admin, a Navi could absolutely be a good dress watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:11 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Agreed,

When you have a suit jacket on obviously you don't want your LING protruding out over your suit jacket. But when you are just wearing a dress shirt you can have your Ling in plain view. That's why Bentley's are good for this, they are a FULL LING and thin enough for this situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
I don't know about Bentleys being good dresswatches :shock: they are stunning though. The Mark IV might be a decent dress watch. I would still diversify my collection, there are some great watches out there. The Rolex GMT Master IIc is truely a fantastic watch, acceldebt have you ever seen one in person? Truely stunning yet classy. Sport and interesting and looks great with a suit IMHO. I get ALOT of compliments on it, more so than any of my Breitlings including my 6.75. That brushed and polished bracelet and that Maxi Dial really bring the watch to the 21st century yet it still has that classic Rolex charm.

I am sorry for talking so much about my rolly, but I can't describe how much I love it!!! Along side my Chrono Evo they are my favorite watches and the best bargains by far!!!

Post subject: Dress Watch
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:58 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I think that in many instances the Breitling Superocean or similar can serve as a dress watch. however, if you are going for a bit of bling notice look and your budget is around 5000 I agree with others that you might want to look at some other watches. I would suggest considering, as has been suggested, the Rolex Sub with possibly the two tone bracelet. or if you want to go to the max of your money you might consider the Carl Bucherer Archimedes in gold (discounted at around 5500) or posssibly a JL of similar style. Good luck in your quest
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
If I was going to choose a Breitling for dressy wear, I would definitely go with the Cockpit. Either the grey or black dial is outstanding, with the steel bracelet. I was actually going to purchase one, but the thing that kept putting me off was the date - not the fact that it is large, that is a plus for me because of my eyesight - rather the fact that the numbers are on a white background. I think it would look a lot better if they had white numerals on a black or grey background, to blend in more with the dial. Take a look at the Blackbird, the numerals are on a black background which looks much better with the black dial.
Also the Baume and Mercier Classima Executive line is great looking, and very reasonably priced. You can also get 2 models of the Limited Edition William Baume models in stainless steel for about $5000.00. I really like the Classima Exec line personally, less than $3000.00 too. Hope this helps. Cheers,Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:57 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Altair,

I like the looks of some Rolex watches and that one is very nice but I just find them too small. For dress watches I like like the Cartier Ballon Bleu and the Roadmaster Chronograph XL. I still think that a Bentley in all gold offers a dual purpose deal because you could wear it as a dress watch or sport watch. Some dress watches are just too boring for me. The Cartier Ballon Bleu is really cool looking though and it's very dressy and has no sub dials while still being very cool looking. And by the way Altair if you get a chance try the new Davidoff Winston Churchill series cigars. They are only making 25,000 of them and they are the first non Cuban cigar in 5 years that I have found to be great and they are really great. I don't even bother with anything that's not Cuban but these are an exception. Try the # 10's, much like a Cohiba Siglo 6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:24 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
IMHO there are 2 types of Breitling watches
1. "Watches for Professionals" - Navitimer, B-1, Avenger etc
2. Watches for pimps/drug-dealers/gangsta-rappers etc. ie bling-bling look-at-me-I'm-a-big-shot iced up $$$$$ monstrosities (as worn by "Pretty-Boy" Mayweather* and the like) :lol:

What they don't make are conservative dress watches in the manner of a Patek Phillipe or Rolex Cellini. I've always liked (most of) the Omega DeVille range which to me look very classy. I think this is one area I'd recommend looking outside the Breitling catalogue.

* not sure if Mayweather does wear a Breitling but in the previews to the Hatton fight, it looked like he was wearing one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:41 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
As an old fashioned, I mean traditional, guy I have to speak up for a vintage Breitling as a wonderful dress watch - and for a lot less money than a new watch of similar quality.

A 40s or 50s vintage Breitling is (at least to me) the definition of understated elegance, and a well maintained / restored watch is not going to be problematic for occasional dress use.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:55 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 335 posts
that a "dress" watch should be without "bling", non "sporty", wafer thin and "conservative", I personally feel that any Breitling can be worn with business or formal attire and not be out of place. If my opinion is wrong according to the "dress" criteria compatible with Pateks, Breguets, most Rollys, etc., I don't really care. If someone were to tell me that any of my B chronos or wifey's windrider models aren't "dressy" enough for certain occasions, I would politely disagree and suggest they keep their opinion to themselves. The only decision I have to make is whether I want to wear a piece on strap or bracelet and I like both equally well for dress. Wifey only wears her B's on bracelet so the choice is a non-issue for her. Tonite we're attending a birthday dinner at a very "upscale" restaurant which has a "dress" requirement. I havn't decided yet whether to go with my white face Cosmonaute on croco or slate dial EVO yet. She'll likely wear her Callisto because she likes the larger size over her Cockpit Lady. A few pics of our choices follow... :wink: :)
Cheers,
Ron

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery "Flow" or... 500px Photo Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:38 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
acceldebt wrote:
Agreed,
When you have a suit jacket on obviously you don't want your LING protruding out over your suit jacket. But when you are just wearing a dress shirt you can have your Ling in plain view. That's why Bentley's are good for this, they are a FULL LING and thin enough for this situation.

Hey Ling Man, that's what the driver's extension on the Pro I bracelet is REALLY for - it's so you can strap it OVER your suit sleeve! :wink:

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:41 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

nice pics as always Ron :shock:

BTW is it a pain to keep changing the bands on the watch for you or does it chance out pretty fast? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I got it on video :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yhsVGYlJ8QA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Sweet! Also saw the clip on sizing the bracelet!