Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:59 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
And by the way, thanks for the candid information there Thomas. Always good to have an industry insider's views.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:13 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
It all has to do with the particular AD too. I learned from a very reliable source here that AD's have about 40 to 45% to play with. But a large AD like Mayors here is not going to drop more than 10% because they don't have to and they have very high overhead due to their location. This is an affluent area and they move TONS of Lings every week. The kind of people that walk in there have plenty of money and they just walk away happy with a 10% discount. These guy's move solid gold Bentleys and other solid Gold Lings weekly. Their regular inventory clears out amazingly fast too. On the other side of town we have a small privately owned Ling AD that you can negotiate a much better deal with but their inventory is nowhere near what Mayors is although they can order anything you want. So there is no solid RULE on how much discount to expect or hold out for on ALL AD's, the conditions will vary from one to another.

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:48 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

When I was deciding which Ling to buy I went to 2 AD's. The first one offered me about a 12% discount. The second AD that I went to offered me a 10% discount, no guessing which AD I bought from..... yup, I bought from the second AD. Most of the AD's here in South Africa do not carry a lot of stock, their stock consists of what is displayed in the window. The first AD took the Steelfish out of the window and wanted to sell me that one and give me a 12% discount.

When I went to the second AD, they didnt have the Steelfish in stock, so they very kindly agreed to order it specially from Breitling South Africa so I could look at it. The watch arrived and the Breitling box was still in its white cardboard box they use to transport/protect it. The reason I went for the 10% discount was because I wasnt sure how many times the watch that the first AD was selling had been played with or bumped about by prospective buyers. I liked the fact that the second AD got an unopened watch straight from Breitling and nobody else had handled it.

In the end I was grateful for the 10% discount

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:03 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Grey,

Enough stories, where is the Super Avenger and the 52" Aquos ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:22 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

acceldebt,

SA is at the top of the list to be bought early next year. Am going to be doing the 52" LCD at around the same time. Not to mention an engagement ring as well! I cant believe how expensive diamonds are!!

SA is definately my next purchase!! I can see it now..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:36 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Grey wrote:
acceldebt,

SA is at the top of the list to be bought early next year. Am going to be doing the 52" LCD at around the same time. Not to mention an engagement ring as well! I cant believe how expensive diamonds are!!

SA is definately my next purchase!! I can see it now..........

Didn't Sharp just launch a 64" Aquos range........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:50 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

"Didn't Sharp just launch a 64" Aquos range........"

It's a 65" and it's great, they also have a 108" LCD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Another thing that can get you a nice discount is a smaller AD in the 3rd quarter. Most brands require that the AD sells a certain volume every year, in order to keep the "AD" status. If a smaller AD believes he'll be on the limit when the year ends, there's an opportunity for a nice deal.

But mainly, I don't hassle my preferred AD too much with discount questions. He gives me some discount, but I'm not arguing for more. I actually don't mind paying a little bit for him staying in business and it's much nicer to have a good, well-known AD in your hometown than having to travel...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:09 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

aleister

is that 21 watches in your current collection? Thats a big one! Do you keep them all on winders?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
It's quite off topic, but you're almost correct Chance. :)

[They are 20 (counting the one's that get normal wrist time), then there are a few just laying around (mostly older unserviced ones) and quite a bunch of pocket watches. At the moment none of them are on winders, but one of my "personal targets" for beginning of next year is to get at least 8 of them on winders.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:53 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Yeah I knew it was a little off topic but since the thread was going the way of aquas tv's I figured as good as any to ask. Nice collection!

Post subject: My AD experience
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:27 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hello,

I have been to several ADs and the experience varied quite a bit. In Boise, Idaho I was told flat out, "We absolutely do not offer discounts on premium watches." O.k., so I walked away and didn't look back. In Seoul, South Korea I was immediately offered 10% off and another 5% if I used a platinum Visa card. I passed on this as I had been working with O.C. Tanner in Salt Lake City to get my wife's first ling ordered. They had already ordered it, but we hadn't discussed the price yet. When it came time for me to buy it, I told the guy at Tanner about the deal I walked away from in Seoul, and he immediately matched it. I know other guys get better than 15% off, but I felt like it was a good price. As I have now bought 2 Lings from them, I figure the next one will get me an even better deal. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:49 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Whilst out shopping yesterday (in UK), I tried on a B2. The manager asked if I was interested in a purchase, which I was. I was offered 10% discount but did not bite!
Is 10% on a discontinued model reasonable. I had the feeling that I may have got a bit better.
Thanks,
C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:01 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
cadalso wrote:
Whilst out shopping yesterday (in UK), I tried on a B2. The manager asked if I was interested in a purchase, which I was. I was offered 10% discount but did not bite!
Is 10% on a discontinued model reasonable. I had the feeling that I may have got a bit better.
Thanks,
C

I'm UK based too, and I've never managed better than 10% on current models. Maybe your AD might be able to offer a little more on a discontinued model, but personally I think 10% is OK anyway. The thing is, the UK (rip-off Britain) is a fairly expensive place at the moment, so any discount is a nice thing to get.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:26 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I bought my new Avenger Skyland back in June or July and it was still very new and still managed a 18% Discount and I have never bought from the AD before. As far as margins go I own a high end car audio store and we tend to see a 50% margin on the higher lines, but then again we are able to offer better service on the lines that do make money than the lower lines with a 10-15% margin. I dont mind paying for Quality and exclusitivity. Everyone's gotta make money IMHO