The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
I am far from being an expert in the field of watches, but I have owned over ten brands of high end watches and can safely say that Breitling is top notch in the following areas:

Design, fresh and classical. Instrumental yet beutifull!!

Crystal quality, best I have ever seen bar none!! I feel like I can touch the hands on my Datora and Bentley.

Bracelet/ Straps. Lings by far have the best Bracelet design and build quality I have seen in their class!! Their straps are also top top notch, from the thickness to the stiching.

History. The Brand speaks for itself.

Logo, when aplied can be a thing of beuity. I love how they celebrate their mark on their watches.

Where I feel Breitling is only mediocre:

Dials, too bad their colors are not that well implemented. Rolex's GMT Master black is a much nicer shade and has a better effect, the blue can be washed out and bland if the room is bright.

Indexes, they are just not that well thought out. For instance my Evo can turn into a hideous thing if the light is a bit too bright, you can see the white luminous strip and the thinner silver strip. NOT a pretty effect to me.

Movement, although they do upgrade the ETA movements they buy and decorate them, they are not a manufacture and as far as I know there is nothing special here. Maybe the Bentley 30 second Chrono is the exception?

These are just my thought, lets hear yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Not following you on the Indices for the Evo?...

Personally the only things about Lings that I wish they would change... is that i wish they would fix up the lack of quality control on a few of the models such as the Airwolf and the Navitimer World... especially the Navitimer World. The crazy GMT hand is just not cool.

The other thing is the lack of manufacture movements. I don't think the 30 seconds chronograph was developed in-house but it was developed for Breitling by DD... but that's just from memory, i could be totally wrong. Breitling Chronometrie might have very well did it. I think BC is going to be developing more in-house modules in the years to come so we might very well have some manufacture movements in a few years.

I love Breitling Dials though.. that's what draws me to them... the Dials are beautiful and the indexes are nice... I love the applied logos (like you do) and I think they put together such a beautiful watch when it comes to aesthetics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:52 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
i personally like the indexes on the evo. i like how they applied the thinner silver index on top of the lume, and i like the detailing on the index, it isn't completely flat, it has an interesting pattern on it.

as for the navi world, i actually asked the ad about that the last time i stopped by. he said he hadn't heard of a case of "crazy GMT hand" but that just makes me wonder if that is because they arent selling a lot of navi worlds domestically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:24 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I love everything about Breitling and have done so ever since I can remember. It has been a dream of mine to own one.

Perhaps I havent owned as many high end watches as you guys or been in the game long enough to be able to crit these watches negatively. If I had to choose a watch brand that I would have to wear for the rest of my life, it would undoubtedly be Breitling.

A few of the things I do love are:
1. The Name
2. Design
3. Aeronautical Theme
4. Quality
5. Exclusivity
6. Feel of the Watches

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:59 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
Your wish for a manufacture Breitling might happen in the near future. But start thinking, what comes with it:

The well known, normally functioning, quite simple Valjoux 7750 in a 5000$ watch, where You can supply a good quantity might change for a Breitling Caliber, unknown bugs, tough to repair, as nobody has plans and data, and in the same case for 10000 $, which is produced in maybe 5000 pcs per year.

A change to a manufacture is a very big change for the brand.

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:24 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Alien wrote:
Your wish for a manufacture Breitling might happen in the near future. But start thinking, what comes with it:

The well known, normally functioning, quite simple Valjoux 7750 in a 5000$ watch, where You can supply a good quantity might change for a Breitling Caliber, unknown bugs, tough to repair, as nobody has plans and data, and in the same case for 10000 $, which is produced in maybe 5000 pcs per year.

A change to a manufacture is a very big change for the brand.

BG
Thomas

Thats a very VERY good point there Thomas. I could foresee a period of considerable QC issues if Breitling head down the manufacturer route. Let's be honest, I'm pretty sure Rolex didn't get it 100% right the first time. From one angle it'd be nice to see everything made in-house, but if that comes at the expense of.... errr.... EXPENSE(!), and a QC trial-and-error period, then I'd rather see Breitling stick to what they do best - making small mods to standard movements and casing them up in (IMO) some of the nicest looking cases and bracelets on the market.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I'm with Alien - I have no problem paying extra for something unique, or at least exclusive, like an in house movement, but I would have concerns over servicing.

In many ways the first few years are going to present a bigger challenge on replacement parts than trying to service / repair vintage watches - the parts just don't exist. The only easy way around that is to assemble movements with common parts wherever possible and if you are only going to do that then you may as well atick with the current approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:07 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
I like the fact that Breitling doesn't flood the market with pieces when compared to Rolex, Omega, and Tag. Their pieces are one of a kind. Since they don't mass produce pieces this makes me wonder about their quality control issues. I think that's an area that can be improved.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
The only thing I would personally like to see changed, is the background colors on the calendars. They are almost all white backgrounds, except for the Blackbird which of course is black. To me, especially with the big date, it contrasts too much with a darker dial. For example, the Cockpit which I think is an outstanding piece, and also one of the smallest Breitling makes, has the large date. That is great, but on the grey or black dial it simply looks out of proportion to me because of the white contrasting background. Some will argue that it is more readable with white, and that they like the contrast.
Cheers,
Carl