It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mulliner Tourbillon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi All

Was wondering if anyone out there has seen or tried on the Mulliner Tourbillon? From what I have read, this is an extremely rare piece and not too many will be made.

Does anyone know what it costs (i know a lot rides on what metal it is made out of), what the availability is like etc..

Most of all, lets say I owned one, would it be a full Ling? acceldebt, jump in here, I would be keen to hear your verdict

Graeme

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:35 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
In a few words - super rare (the Bentley catalogue says only a couple will be made each month), super expensive (precious metals are the only option - not steel for this baby!). Owners are apparently able to specify a huge number of colour combinations - the dial, the leather and the wood used for the ring on the case-back. The movement will also be engraved with the initials of the buyer. All very cool, but at a whopping price. (Not sure of the price as the catalogue omits it, but that in itself says to me that it falls into the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" territory!! I certainly does for me!)

I believe the case size qualifies it as a Full Ling, but I think certain people (you know who you are! :wink: ) will refuse it entry on account of the leather strap!

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:01 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Price from Breitling is around US$150,000 I believe. Ordinarily I would expect the secondary market price to far outstrip that, but not sure if that will hold with personalized touches (e.g. initials).

I imagine that there are only a handful of 'example' watches in existence - as Driver 8 stated it is effectively a custom made piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:03 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Guy's,

Our dealer here, Mayors Jewelers had one for a few weeks. They quoted me $108,000 without the Gold Speed Bracelet. And to answer your question about the Full Ling status, if ANYONE EVER wore a Mulliner on a Leather Strap it would be grounds for SEVERE PUNISHMENT. The Mulliner is available with the Gold Speed Bracelet and that would be the ONLY way to go. Personally my favorite is the Mulliner Perpetual which is a lot less money, about $43000 without the Gold Bracelet. I think the Mulliner Perpetual with a Black face is better looking with the 4 awesome sub dials. You could buy one on a DEGRADED Croco strap and then look around for the Gold Bracelet. I have to say though that if you were a misguided fellow that likes Croco straps you could get away with it on one of the Mulliner models as long as they were Yellow or Rose Gold, if the watch was White Gold you would just be a F----D Up guy. I am going to try to pull off the regular Bentley Motors in all Gold next year with a Black dial. Those Mulliner Models will have to wait a while longer but they are definitely GREAT.

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
I have to strongly disagree with you on the white gold thing. White gold is a nice piece of metal. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I personally love white gold for jewelry, but for a watch, it still looks more or less like steel, but is heavier and scratches and dents more easily.. i like heavy, but not the latter.

I personally think that if you have a watch as sweet as a mulliner Tourbillon it don't matter what kind of strap you have it in on. :) I actually think for me personally, I would want such a large watch on Croco, I don't think the solid chunk of gold all the way around my wrist suits my personal style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:13 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I agree with Admin,

I love White Gold and I have White gold jewelry but when you pay what you have to pay for a Gold Ling I think you would want it to look completely different than Stainless Steel. White Gold has a beautiful luster to it but it still looks a lot like Steel. when you see one of those Rose Gold Lings in the showcase sitting in the middle of a bunch of Steel Lings, the Rose Gold one is all you see. In any event it still belongs on a bracelet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:15 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

The Mulliner Turbillon is a beautiful watch, but I think it's alittle too much. If your gonna buy the watch, you better have the Continental GT to match, since the watch is priced similarily to the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:32 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

acceldebt wrote:
I agree with Admin,
I love White Gold and I have White gold jewelry but when you pay what you have to pay for a Gold Ling I think you would want it to look completely different than Stainless Steel. White Gold has a beautiful luster to it but it still looks a lot like Steel. when you see one of those Rose Gold Lings in the showcase sitting in the middle of a bunch of Steel Lings, the Rose Gold one is all you see. In any event it still belongs on a bracelet.

Ling Man,

I agree that if you pay out for a gold Breitling then at least get something that LOOKS like gold! White gold to me is a strange choice as you get all the look of steel..... without the benefits! :huh Hmmmmm.

BUT, and there is a BIG BUT here - if you are under 80 years old (and this is in no way a slur against any 80+ year old members we have here! :wink: ) gold watches on gold bracelets are seriously NOT the way to go. It says "Del-Boy" through and through!! (Sorry, that may be one for the UK members, but look up a TV show called Only Fools And Horses and you'll get the idea...!)

I can cope with your argument for bracelets on most Breitlings - I see your point, but I also happen to think that a Navi and some Evo's can look equally good on a croco strap. BUT just one look at the tourbillon in the catalogue on the brown croco and you'll see that an all gold watch must NEVER be put on a gold bracelet!

:bling:

The defence rests.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:13 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Driver 8,

Here is how it goes. Some watches like the Roger Dubuis, some Zenith Class series watches and others look very good on a dressy Croco strap. Lings on the other hand are made to be worn on bracelets. They show the Mulliner on the Breitling web site with a strap as they also show some of the Flying B models on a strap because the marketing department at Breitling understands that there are those watch enthusiasts that do in fact want their Ling on a strap and they don't want to lose the sales they would make to those people. However, when it comes to Ling bracelets and Lings it is a completely different situation. Breitling makes the best looking bracelets of any watch manufacturer out there. When a Ling is not on a bracelet the "Ling" portion of the watch only has any continuity from one set of lugs to the other, where the lugs stop the LING stops. With a bracelet the man wearing the Ling has his entire arm engulfed in Ling excellence. With a strap he only has a Ling riding all by itself on the top of his wrist with no unique, substantial, Ling style bracelet to complete the ensemble . In addition a Gold Mulliner on a strap is not only DEGRADED it's De-Valued. A Croco strap is a run of the mill $450 apparatus used to hold the Ling on your arm. The all Gold Bracelet is somewhere in the area of $8000 of TOTAL LING GLORY !If we were talking about some other brand like Omega or something it wouldn't matter that much because the bracelets are not that exceptional. When we are talking about having a beautifully designed, finely crafted Ling Speed bracelet in all Gold it is an entirely different subject altogether. In response to your other comments I don't know where you got the idea that an all Gold watch with an all Gold bracelet is somehow specifically designed for Old Men or Hip Hop Rappers. A great deal of Old Men play golf but that doesn't mean that Golf is just for old men. In any event it is good that you are giving these matters consideration and I have complete confidence in you. Just stay active here and in time you will come around and see things clearly and I will be here to congratulate you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
What is a Del-Boy? :brit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:07 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
breitlingsource wrote:
What is a Del-Boy? :brit

With the possible exception of me ( :lol: ) it is the best thing exported from the UK. I think you can get Only Fools and Horses on DVD in North America.

I have to disagree though - Del Boy would go for a double diamond bezel - the gold only is too understated for him. Now Rodney might appreciate it......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:08 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Certainly sounds like an amazing watch. I would love to see one in the flesh. If I was in the position of being able to buy the Tourbillon I would get it on a bracelet for sure. I will justify my reasoning as follows:

You are looking at paying $108 000 just for the head. Can you imagine having a $108 000 watch fall off your wrist because over time the Croco strap has worn through. No way, No how will I take that risk. If you pay the extra $8000 for the bracelet you are effectively taking out an "insurance policy" that will prevent such occurances.

As for the rose / white gold debate. I would personally go for the white gold. It's just a personal thing I guess. I think white gold looks a lot more classy. Driver8 made a very good comment about why pay for gold if it looks like steel - I cant argue that point, its too good.

Is the watch available in Platinum?

OK, now imagine this. A Tourbillon with a ..... wait for it ..... a rubber dive strap!!!!!!!!!! HORROR OF HORRORS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Grey - I totally agree with your gold statement.

White gold does IT for me, much more than yellow/rose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:32 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

An all yellow-gold watch just has an old man feel to it to me I'm afraid. It also says too much money and not enough class! But then Ling Man, you have to remember that I am, after all, British and that means I am in possession of a very reserved nature and a very stiff upper lip, so overt displays of wealth are anathema to me! :wink: And besides, too much gold on one's wrist would clash with my tweed hunting jacket and deer-stalker..... :roll:

A white gold Mulliner on a white gold bracelet is fine (in terms of looks) - but a yellow or rose-gold watch on a matching bracelet? Too much my dear fellow, too much.

And I can't agree with the "de-valuing" argument I'm afraid. If you pay for a Mulliner on a strap, it'll be worth the price of a Mulliner on a strap. Admittedly less than a Mulliner on a bracelet, but then the bracelet will cost you an extra $8000, as you rightly say.

In response to your last point, I fear I am too far gone for salvation from my strap-loving ways. BUT.... if I wake up one morning with a sudden urge to purchase an SA, or anything in the purest of pure yellow gold, I will immediately recant my prior (alleged) strap-based misdemeanours and dedicate my purchase to the schooling of Ling Man.

Yours,
Lord Driver8, 5th Earl of Croco-hide Hall

Site Moderator