It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:56 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello Everyone,

Just joined; first post.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying my all-time favorite Breitling. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore, so I'll have to go the used route. I'm looking at the B-1 [1] or B-1 Superquartz [2].

I see a lot of discussion on the B68 [3] and B78 [4] movements at the core of these (and the later Airwolf), and have a few questions.

How reliable are these movements?

I own quartz watches with moving hands that have lasted for 30 years with only a battery change. The talk on the B68 and B78 is that they need a full service (read: replacement) every 5-10 years, which seems really excessive for a quartz movement. It's something I've never done with any other quartz movement. Since the youngest of these watches is 15 years, I suppose I'd have to budget for a $500+ full service/replacement as part of the watch buy.

Do independent shops service these movements? Can they replace the B68 or B78 with a generic equivalent ETA movement, or must they come from Breitling?

The movement looks the same, but the display looks unique to Breitling (curved top display in the generic ETA movement, straight top display in the Breitling movement). If the display is soldered to the movement, it probably can't be replaced with a generic ETA movement. The joys of sending watches back to Breitling are the topics of many threads in the forum.

None of this is a deal-breaker, I just want to be prepared. I know generic internal parts would send the resale value of my watch to zero, but I like the price pressure independent repair would put on the factory. And I'd be OK being buried with this watch with everyone none the wiser :)

Thanks for all your help,

SRF

[1] https://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_d ... al_28.html
[2] https://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_d ... al_29.html
[3] https://www.breitlingsource.com/details/B68.html
[4] https://www.breitlingsource.com/details/B78.html

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
SlideRuleFan wrote:
The talk on the B68 and B78 is that they need a full service (read: replacement) every 5-10 years, which seems really excessive for a quartz movement.

That was not my experience when I owned a B-1 SQ.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:36 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 16 posts
Also, keep in mind the B78 is still in the current line up in the Chronospace Military so support from Breitling shouldn’t be an issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:29 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 14 posts
I have a. o. an Aerospace Avantage and last year I had to experience the digital display backlight disappearing. First only at the center of both displays, a few months later completely. I got a high price quotation from the service so I decided to use the watch without the backlight in the future. (I used to use the backlight very rarely. The Luminova of the analog part is good enough and the main attraction of the watch for me is the electronic minute repeater.)
Hope this also helps as the B1 also has a digital display backlight.
Best,
Robert

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:21 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Robertus wrote:
I have a. o. an Aerospace Avantage and last year I had to experience the digital display backlight disappearing...I got a high price quotation from the service so I decided to use the watch without the backlight in the future.

That's what the anecdotal evidence suggests. 15 years tops, then replace the whole movement (a job only the factory can do) at a cost of around $1000. The Total Cost of Ownership argument isn't very strong with these. Since every B-1 on the market is at least that old, they're basically ticking time bombs. Pun intended. If I'm gong to spend that much, I may as well get a brand new Navitimer. Or stick with Japanese if quartz accuracy is more important.

SRF

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:05 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 14 posts
SlideRuleFan wrote:
Robertus wrote:
I have a. o. an Aerospace Avantage and last year I had to experience the digital display backlight disappearing...I got a high price quotation from the service so I decided to use the watch without the backlight in the future.

That's what the anecdotal evidence suggests. 15 years tops, then replace the whole movement (a job only the factory can do) at a cost of around $1000. The Total Cost of Ownership argument isn't very strong with these. Since every B-1 on the market is at least that old, they're basically ticking time bombs. Pun intended. If I'm gong to spend that much, I may as well get a brand new Navitimer. Or stick with Japanese if quartz accuracy is more important.

SRF

As much as I agree with you I must stress that the wear of the Aeospace Avantage (on bracelet) gives a joy that has to find its comparable one among other quartz watches and (at least for me) the main attraction remains the electronic minute repeater (which unfortunately the B1 does not have) - of course together with the 100 m WR case with divers's bezel, etc. etc. TBH I've almost never used the digital backlight. Still it would be better if my watch had it but not to have a new movement was an easy decision. My watch gains cca. 3-4 secs a year - hard to beat it even among TC quartz watches. So I found my peace of mind and use this watch sometimes, while wearing frequently my automatics (as it is week-end, right now my Steelfish Chrono day-date).

Last edited by Robertus on Sun May 16, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:46 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Robertus wrote:
the wear of the Aeospace Avantage (on bracelet) gives a joy that has to find its comparable one among other quartz watches

I definitely see what you see. I like the B-1 & Airwolf because they're the only ones that offers both the E6B slide-rule bezel and the lighted timer. I really wish they hadn't dropped the E6B from the Professional line. Since I'll be using this watch for its intended purpose (timing instrument holds at night in an airplane), there will be no joy if it doesn't light up. Or if I have to wonder every time I push the button if it'll be the last.

I'm not opposed to refurbishing one; I just wish there were better-than-anecdotal evidence for how reliable these are and how long they'll last. No dealer will tell me anything for fear of losing a sale.

SRF