The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:48 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hello. I am the original owner of this vintage Breitling Geneve chronograph watch, which I purchased in Royal Oak, MI, over 30 years ago. I wondered if you could possibly tell me anything about the actual model name and year, based on it's serial number, and photo:

1 438 209

I've discovered a similar gold-tone watch while searching the internet; mine's identical in appearance, but with a satin stainless steel "starburst" case, and black face. I've also added the classic Rouleaux bullet band.

I could not locate it among your model listings. I'd appreciate any help you might be able to provide. Thanx!

Last edited by KarlWS on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:56 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
KarlWS wrote:
Hello. I am the original owner of a vintage Breitling Geneve chronograph watch, which I purchased in Royal Oak, MI, over 30 years ago. I wondered if you could possibly tell me anything about the actual model name and year, based on it's serial number:

1 438 209

I've discovered a similar gold-tone watch while searching the internet; mine's identical in appearance, but with a satin stainless steel "starburst" case, and black face. I've also added the classic Rouleaux bullet band.

I could not locate it among your model listings. I'd appreciate any help you might be able to provide. Thanx!

I always feel tested by these posts - let's see how much Roff can figure out without pictures - I love it, but it does leave me a little exposed. Let's see how well I do this time:

First off, the serial number dates to late 1975, that one I'm sure of. At this time the model itself didn't have a name, it was simply a 1450, but in this year it will likely be part of the Long Playing series of watches.

I believe that your watch has 3 subdials, at 3, 6 and 9, the seconds at 9 o'clock, 30 minute chrono at 3 and 12 hour chrono at 6. It will be powered by a Valjoux 7736.

There is another version of the 1450, this time powered by the Valjoux 7734, but that only has two subs, with a date at 6 o'clock. That's not a Long Playing and I believe that these were only produced up to 1973 or so - from 74 onwards I think they were all the 3 sub variants.

How did I do?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:07 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I'd say you nailed it! :D

1975 would definitely be about right. I'd post pics of mine, but have no EZ access to unencumbered server space. (I could email, though.)

Photos of gold (model 1451?) version are below:

Here's a URL to more info/photos:

http://www.ewatchshow.com/view/watch/3_020501133649-vintage-nos-chronograph

This website show the Long Plaing series on the back cover sticker. What would 820.4 reference be?

Again, mine is identical, but stainless steel, with a black dial face.

Thanx for your help. I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Last edited by KarlWS on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:37 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Here's a Breitling Geneve model 1450 identical to mine, now for sale on eBay, albeit in rather sad shape, aesthetically:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350127906988&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us

The original box/manual would be nice...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:20 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Here's another URL, to the Unofficial Israeli Breitling Website, with more info on the 1450 model:

http://www.clubbreitlingisrael.co.il/site/detail/departAlbum/albumPic.asp?depart_id=24739&seaWord=1450

This shows (I think...it's in Hebrew!) 1974 (vs 1975) as the model year, though apparently confirms Valjoux 7736 movement, and Long Playing series designation. This site also displays the 2-subdial variant, with date.

Last edited by KarlWS on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:20 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

My reputation survives another day :wink:

This thread gives you some options to show pictures of your own watch - http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=453

Photobucket accounts are free so you can use their server space.

The 820.4 on the Old World Jewelers piece is the model number - the 820 is similar to the 1450, but isn't the same model. The .4 is for gold filled.

The one on eBay would almost tempt me to buy it to be able to get the box and to have some spare parts for servicing / restoration work, depending on price of course. I wouldn't buy it without seeing the movement, and to be fair the 7736 is a fairly common movement so parts aren't too difficult to come by.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:53 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I will be watching that one on eBay...

Also, I just set up a Photobucket account. Thanx for the tip! :)
I'll take some more appealing photos, before sharing them, here.

Thanx for the reply. You are very helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:15 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:
Re: S/N 1 438 209

First off, the serial number dates to late 1975, that one I'm sure of. At this time the model itself didn't have a name, it was simply a 1450, but in this year it will likely be part of the Long Playing series of watches.

Found this page at a (lesser) unofficial Breitling site, which would confirm the late 1975 year of mfr.

Thanx, Roff!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:23 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

KarlWS wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
Re: S/N 1 438 209

Found this page at a (lesser) unofficial Breitling site, which would confirm the late 1975 year of mfr.

Thanx, Roff!

I removed the URL from your post - nothing wrong with posting them normally, but that site is an illegal rip-off of this one so we try not to send them traffic.

They ripped the serial number list off of this site - www.navitimer.net

Post subject: Re: URL Removal
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:01 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I see what you mean, Roff. Sorry about that. :/ There sure didn't seem to be a lot of "there", there. In any event, the serial number info provided at navitimer.net was helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:39 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

KarlWS wrote:
Here's a Breitling Geneve model 1450 identical to mine, now for sale on eBay, albeit in rather sad shape, aesthetically:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350127906988&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us

The original box/manual would be nice...

Exact same watch surfaced in mid-June '11, on eBay. Snatched it, this time. Watch has been completely serviced, the case now looks brand new, and it was fitted with a nice Breitling black leather strap. It has since had a NOS Rouleaux "bullet" polished stainless steel bracelet installed.

The box includes the original stainless steel band, warranty booklet, Breitling tag with string, and the original order/purchase receipts ($99.90, from Best Products). The tag and receipts were neatly hidden in the bottom of the box!

What goes around, comes around...eventually! :)

Post subject: Re: 820.4 vs 1451
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:06 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:

This thread gives you some options to show pictures of your own watch - http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=453

The 820.4 on the Old World Jewelers piece is the model number - the 820 is similar to the 1450, but isn't the same model. The .4 is for gold filled.

The one on eBay would almost tempt me to buy it to be able to get the box and to have some spare parts for servicing / restoration work, depending on price of course. I wouldn't buy it without seeing the movement, and to be fair the 7736 is a fairly common movement so parts aren't too difficult to come by.

I just picked up one of the Old World Jewelers NOS Breitling chronographs, with the sticker on the back that says Ref. 820.4. Upon careful removal, I discovered the model reference to be 1451. SN: 1 435 711, so 1975 production year, it appears. Are the 820.4 and 1451 models synonymous? Also, imprinted on the bottom edge, is ""PLAQUE G 10 Y". What's the specific meaning of this engraving? Thanx!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:15 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Hmm, interesting.

820 and 1451 are similar, never considered them to be interchangeable though, but I guess that they were - Breitling was doing some odd things in the 70s.

The engraving is for 10 micron yellow gold plating.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:18 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Did I read that right? This was only 99 Bucks back in 1975? Inflation couldnt have been so much to produce today's prices..... what happened?

omg why wasnt I around in 1975 :idea: :?:

Post subject: Re: 820.4 vs 1451
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
KarlWS wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

This thread gives you some options to show pictures of your own watch - viewtopic.php?t=453

I just picked up one of the Old World Jewelers NOS Breitling chronographs, with the sticker on the back that says Ref. 820.4. Upon careful removal, I discovered the model reference to be 1451. SN: 1 435 711, so 1975 production year, it appears. Are the 820.4 and 1451 models synonymous? Also, imprinted on the bottom edge, is ""PLAQUE G 10 Y". What's the specific meaning of this engraving? Thanx!

Congratulation and thanks !

finally somebody peeled off that stupid sticker (I was never brave enough to remove mine) and proves what I thought: the model no. under that "Long Plaing" sticker is 1451, not 820.4! Did somebody ever see this watch with the 820.4 engraving ?
"plaque or" means "gold plated", 10Y stands for 10 micron plating.