The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:51 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
I'm looking at the new Aerospace Evo but have yet to see one in person. I like the new flat dial design as I'm not a fan of the textured dials of recent years. When shopping for a pre-owned Aerospace, what's the best way (naming convention, ref number) to tell I'm getting the older flat dial version? Some of the pics of the ones with textured dials look flat on first glance but turn out to be textured - this is even true on Breitlings website where the "current" model (even though it's not the Evo) looks flat but when you go to 360 view it's textured.

So, question is, what was the name/ref# of the last non-textured dial? I see a lot of "Avantage" models and they all appear to be non-textured, but I think that name was dropped and there might be something in between that's newer with a flat dial. Breitling nerds, help! ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:14 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Any nerds here that would know the answer?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:39 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
The Avantage is the last model (the one before the EVO) this the one I have model number E7936210

The EVO model number is E7936310. The EVO is the latest model came out at 2013.

The model with the completely flat dial with the gold printed logo came out at 2006 I believe. I'm not sure about the model number but it should start with E79...

The Aerospace Avantage (AA) is an excellent watch. You will not be disappointed if you get one. It's easy to read, and easy to use the functions. I hope this helps.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:33 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well may not start E, depends on the material, there are F and K variants as well.

79362 could be flat or textured depending on when it was produced - dial shots are going to be the best way to tell. The reference numbers didn't change from Advantage to just Aerospace, only difference is the dial text.

Earlier version is 75362 (SQ, chronometer), before that is 65362 (non SQ, chronometer) and 65062 (non SQ, non chronometer) - all flat.

First version also had multiple model numbers, all flat dial, going back in time - 56062, 56059 and 80360.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:42 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Roffensian wrote:
Well may not start E, depends on the material, there are F and K variants as well.

79362 could be flat or textured depending on when it was produced - dial shots are going to be the best way to tell. The reference numbers didn't change from Advantage to just Aerospace, only difference is the dial text.

Earlier version is 75362 (SQ, chronometer), before that is 65362 (non SQ, chronometer) and 65062 (non SQ, non chronometer) - all flat.

First version also had multiple model numbers, all flat dial, going back in time - 56062, 56059 and 80360.

I thought the Aerospace was only produced in titanium. Was it produced in SS? I know about the rose gold. What other metals were used on this model?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:43 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
This is my understanding: (along with Roff's info.)

The 'flat' dial you are referring to before the 2010 textured (tuxedo as some call it) dial is ref. number 79362, the same ref. number as the 2010 tuxedo dial (confusing). The best way to tell if it is the 2010-2012 tuxedo dial is the dial has the small (polished I believe) arabics 1,2,4,5,7,8,10,11. If no small arabics then it is an earlier version with flat dial. Anything before 2005/2006 will be the 40 mm case.

It looks like your looking for a 2006-2009 (possibly early 2010) 42mm Aerospace, flat dial (last non-textured as you mention).

The new EVO also has a flat dial with the case coming in at 43mm, model 79363 as mentioned. It also has the small arabics (1,2,4,5, etc) that are lumed and a little larger I think, helps for readability for me. The EVO also has the minute repeater function.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:48 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 18 posts
Kodak, the arabics you mentioned (1,2,4,5,7.8.10,11) on the "tuxedo" model are lumed, not polished. They look like they are applied, but may be a part of the dial.

Peter

BREITLING for Bentley Motors T & Mark VI, Aerospace
ROLEX Submariner Ceramic116610LN
OMEGA Plantet Ocean 8500 42mm Orange arabics
OCEAN7 LM-3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
yogi18 wrote:
The Avantage is the last model (the one before the EVO)

Not strictly correct. Though colloquially people kept calling the pre-Evo Aerospace the Avantage, the Avantage was 2005-6 only. See:

http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... al_26.html

It had ‘Chronometre Certifie’ on the dial.

From 2007-12 it reverted to being the simple 'Aerospace', with 'Chronometre Aerospace’ on the dial. But as Roff says, despite retaining the same model number all along [79362] there were successive changes, thus:

For 2007-9, plain dial, like the preceding Avantage.
2010-12, grill-square dial, numerals added at 1/2, 4/5, 7/8, 10/11.

Then, as we know, in 2013 they introduced the Evo, which had the following changes:

- dropped the grilled square in the middle and reverted to plain dial
- changed the hands, with skeleton hour hand and sharper minute hand
- dropped the 24-hour markings on the outer dial
- integrated the rider tabs
- grew it by 1mm
- applied the wings
- added 'Swiss made'

See for discussion of the Evo:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47063

So in short (!) and as Kodiak says, if you want the plain dial (and confining this discussion to the Avantage-on era watches from 2005) you want:

a 2005-6 Aerospace Avantage
a 2007-9 Aerospace
or
a 2013-on Aerospace Evo

(However, just to complicate things, it appears that Breitling kept putting out plain-dial Aeros after having introduced the grilled Aeros in late 2009, I suspect because the grill wasn't very popular. I know that because I have a plain-dial Aero date-stamped mid-2010.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:13 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
yogi18 wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

I thought the Aerospace was only produced in titanium. Was it produced in SS? I know about the rose gold. What other metals were used on this model?

Not SS, titanium and two gold variants.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:12 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 14 posts
sorry to do a minor thread jack but I have had probably a dozen Aero's over the years and probably every varient by now. Having just bought Serge's EVO [a perfect transaction BTW], the biggest difference with the EVO is something that I did not even appreciate when I tried one on at the Boutique; did not notice it when I went back two days later to try it on again...NO CHIMNEY! Breitling case construction utilizing the chimney has been the bane of my watch refinishing efforts for over a dozen years. I realize that it protects the crystal but it is so difficult to get scratches out of the chimney that I rarely even try anymore. The new EVO w/ no chimney at all is just great, and by far the best Aero that I have ever owned!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
termite wrote:
The new EVO w/ no chimney at all is just great, and by far the best Aero that I have ever owned!

Intriguing: I'd missed that in the pictures. But for example the pics of the Evo at the start of the thread @

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47063

make it look like it still has a chimney. Is it just a lower one?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:47 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

termite wrote:
sorry to do a minor thread jack but I have had probably a dozen Aero's over the years and probably every varient by now. Having just bought Serge's EVO [a perfect transaction BTW], the biggest difference with the EVO is something that I did not even appreciate when I tried one on at the Boutique; did not notice it when I went back two days later to try it on again...NO CHIMNEY! Breitling case construction utilizing the chimney has been the bane of my watch refinishing efforts for over a dozen years. I realize that it protects the crystal but it is so difficult to get scratches out of the chimney that I rarely even try anymore. The new EVO w/ no chimney at all is just great, and by far the best Aero that I have ever owned!

Does it feel bigger on your wrist? I like the chimney as its shiny and contrasting the grey titanium. How's the new bracelet?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:56 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 14 posts
Actually, what looks like a chimney in those pictures is the 45 degree edge of the crystal. The EVO case has no chimney of any type and that contributes to making the face appear larger than prior versions. This is one of the very few new Breitling design changes that I completely love! I can't say that it wears much bigger than the Avantage and I really like the new bracelet as an evolution of the PRO II...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:08 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

termite wrote:
Actually, what looks like a chimney in those pictures is the 45 degree edge of the crystal. The EVO case has no chimney of any type and that contributes to making the face appear larger than prior versions. This is one of the very few new Breitling design changes that I completely love! I can't say that it wears much bigger than the Avantage and I really like the new bracelet as an evolution of the PRO II...

Which bracelet feels better based on your experience? Can you put up a close up of the pro 2 and pro 3 if you have the time?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:31 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 18 posts
The chimney is what I missed most with the new redesign. I like the bit of flash.

Peter

BREITLING for Bentley Motors T & Mark VI, Aerospace
ROLEX Submariner Ceramic116610LN
OMEGA Plantet Ocean 8500 42mm Orange arabics
OCEAN7 LM-3

Last edited by RXPete on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.