The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:45 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Ok Im pretty new to Breitlings and am trying to decide which one I want, I have been very keen on the SuperOcean Chrono with blue face.

But Ive been thinking lots and I would prefer my watch to have a full size sweeping second hand, I just love the look of this compared to the tick tick of a quartz watch, but I also want the watch to have subdials, as I think this makes the watch more 'substantial' in my eyes. Now as I am so new to all this, would I be right that excluding all the Bentley and Navitimer models, the Blackbird is the only one that satisfies my requirements?

Thanks for the help
J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:56 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Nah, any watch and just run the chronograph!....I'd say get a Superavenger...there is no going back though, your first Breitling will NOT be your last.....welcome aboard

:welcome:

Current:- Navi World, Coral SO, Panerai 219, Sea Dweller, Suunto Core etc

CORAL CLUB FOUNDING FATHER
:coralclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:12 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
Welcome nzeaglei,

Unfortunately for you, the only way to have a "Breitling" with sub-dials and a large sweep seconds hand is to buy a fake! The bottom of the barrel fakes pretend to be a chronograph but the large chrono seconds hand sweeps round as a standard seconds hand and the sub-dials show day/date/24hr. Stating the obvious, avoid these like the plague!

To the best of my knowledge, all mechanical chronographs (not just Breitling) use the large seconds hand to record elapsed seconds when using the timer function. This is so you can measure time down to 1/5th second. Therefore if you see a watch with sub-dials and the seconds hand is running, either the wearer has forgotten to stop the chrono or it's a cheap fake. As the Doc suggests, you can always run the chrono function whenever you want to see the second hand running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:33 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Sharkmouth wrote:
As the Doc suggests, you can always run the chrono function whenever you want to see the second hand running.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Does running the chronograph continuously damage the watch in any way? I just love the smooth sweep of the large second hand. I suppose I could get a model without sub dials if the second hand sweep is more important to me, decisions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
nzeaglei wrote:
Does running the chronograph continuously damage the watch in any way? I just love the smooth sweep of the large second hand. I suppose I could get a model without sub dials if the second hand sweep is more important to me, decisions...

No, it won't damage it at all. Some say it increases wear (which is true as it's a moving part, but then it's designed to be used) while others will say that NOT using it causes the oils to thicken or pool (which is also true). I'd say if you want to run it continuously then do so, and get it serviced when it needs it.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:53 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Driver8 wrote:
"]I'd say if you want to run it continuously then do so, and get it serviced when it needs it.

Thats brilliant, looks like my SuperOcean chrono pruchase is on again.

Slight change of tack, I live in the Uk, have done for 3 years, but am heading home to NZ in 2 months for good, I see that some of you live in "rip-off britain" too! Any of you had any first hand experience of getting the tax back at airports on items like watches? Am heaading back through Bangkok too, do any of you know if prices there will be significantly cheaper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:22 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Driver8 wrote:
nzeaglei wrote:

No, it won't damage it at all. Some say it increases wear (which is true as it's a moving part, but then it's designed to be used) while others will say that NOT using it causes the oils to thicken or pool (which is also true). I'd say if you want to run it continuously then do so, and get it serviced when it needs it.

So if you leave a chrono running on an automatic movement it won't stop automatically after 30 minutes? Or will only the small subdial stop at the 30 minute mark and the large sweeping second hand will run continuously? I am in the same boat as the original poster in that I love a large sweeping hand but I also like the subdial look. A navitimer with a large sweep would be best but alas, no such model seems to exist.

Thanks for insight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:27 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
The chronograph never stops - same as the hands for the time they just go around the dials again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:27 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Willin wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
nzeaglei wrote:

So if you leave a chrono running on an automatic movement it won't stop automatically after 30 minutes? Or will only the small subdial stop at the 30 minute mark and the large sweeping second hand will run continuously? I am in the same boat as the original poster in that I love a large sweeping hand but I also like the subdial look. A navitimer with a large sweep would be best but alas, no such model seems to exist.

Thanks for insight

No, all the hands will just keep running until you either stop the chronograph or until the watch runs out of power - i.e. if you don't wear it for a long period of time(42 hours or so from a full wind).

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:47 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Driver8 wrote:
Willin wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
nzeaglei wrote:

Thanks for insight

No, all the hands will just keep running until you either stop the chronograph or until the watch runs out of power - i.e. if you don't wear it for a long period of time(42 hours or so from a full wind).

Wow, good to know. As silly as it may sound, I may keep the chrono running sometimes when I get a Breitling.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:51 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Willin wrote:
Wow, good to know. As silly as it may sound, I may keep the chrono running sometimes when I get a Breitling.

Thanks!

So will I :D good to know theres someone else thinking like me. I am actually leaving work now to go gaze lovingly through a jewellers window at my precious.

Post subject: Running Chronometer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:25 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I frequently run the chronometer on my chrono avenger, simply because I like to see it run.

The watch is an automatic and running the chronometer all day has never run the watch down, or affected the accuracy at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:45 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
nzeaglei wrote:
to go gaze lovingly through a jewellers window at my precious.

'my precious'
Lord Of The Lings ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:12 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

ewen wrote:
Lord Of The Lings ?

:lol: Maybe that's an idea for Admin to use as the next posting rank name! :lol:

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
@nzeaglei,
Be aware that constant use of chrono function will decrease a power reserve.