Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:15 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi All,

I just bought a Montbrillant. I liked it once I tried it on at the AD. My plan was to get a Blackbird or a Chrono Evo when I entered the AD, but ended up getting the Montbrillant. I wonder whether I made the right choice? Any comments from fellow B'Lingers? BTW how good is the B41 vs B13 and B44 on the chrono and blackbird respectively? Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
The Montbrillant is a very nice watch. The only complaint that most have is that it is a bit small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 2 posts
Hi James

Nice choice - I'm biased of course.

My Monty is a stainless steel with silver face & gold hands on a navitimer bracelet.

As Admin says - a bit smaller than some but if you went to your AD and tried several on this won't have been an issue.

I have small wrists - about 7 1/2 inches - and it suits me fine. I can wear bigger (my Aerospace & B-1 look fine too) but I think it's an elegant watch. I sort of keep mine as a dress watch - I rarely get posh enough for a slim gold thing.

So - Enjoy!

BTW - we need pics!

Welcome to the looney bin!

To complete the collection:
Navi 01 46/Black leather - Black/white
Montbrillant Datora/Navi - White face
:lingsrock:

LEARNING.......EVERY DAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'll forgive you for not taking the Blackbird.

Congratulations!

Breitling Windrider Blackbird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:54 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

:D Welcome to the forum :D Enjoy your new watch!!!!! I agree with Admin, just a little small for my taste. Then again I prob don't have any taste :lol:

Post subject: Congrats
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:43 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Hope you enjoy the watch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:46 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Its always funny to hear about people going in to buy one, and ending up with a different one. Just shows you what a great selection B has available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Talk about a total difference from what you went in to buy!
I really like that watch, I did not know however, it was that size. I do like the fact that at 38mm, though, it still has a 20mm bracelet or strap, which seems to give it a larger look.
I had another look a Blackbird the other day. Still the most amazing watch that Breitling has except maybe the Skyland line. I am still wating to see what it will look like polished. Both polished and brushed are apparently options in 2008. With that faceted bracelet, I think it will look incredible.
Anyway, the Montbrillant is a great choice, especially with the Navitimer bracelet.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:24 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

:welcome: aboard and congrats on an excellent choice, i am monty fan :)

Time is precious, keep it with elegance!
-Alien13-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:51 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Smart watch, nearly had a monty legende myself but went for a world at the last min.

Current:- Navi World, Coral SO, Panerai 219, Sea Dweller, Suunto Core etc

CORAL CLUB FOUNDING FATHER
:coralclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:05 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks for all your warm welcome and encouraging words.

It was kind of weird ending up buying the Monty when I had the blackbird/chronomat in mind, but I don't hve any regrets on it as it looks soooo cool when I strap it on. Yes I do have very narrow wrist so it's 38mm size does fit me to the T. But I do plan to get the blackbird/chonomat in the next 24mths.

Anyway can someone tell me how good is the Monty's B41 vs B13 and B44 on the chrono and blackbird respectively? And does the number of jewels make the movement more sophisticated, complex, accurate or it really doesn't matter???.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
James wrote:
Anyway can someone tell me how good is the Monty's B41 vs B13 and B44 on the chrono and blackbird respectively? And does the number of jewels make the movement more sophisticated, complex, accurate or it really doesn't matter???.

To be honest there's not a lot in it in terms of reliability or accuracy. All are COSC certified, and all are pretty reliable. Breitling say that the B13 is the most tried and tested, but that's because it's based on the Valjoux 7750 which is one of the most widely used movements around. Number of jewels tends to mean that a movement is more complex internally, but not that it necessarily has more complications - it just means that there may be more parts moving next to one another that requires more jewels to reduce friction. Yes it's true that movements with lots of complications tend to require more jewels, but some relatively simple movements can have a reasonably high jewel count as well. For example the B13 with a 6, 9, 12 subdial config and date complication has 25 jewels, whereas the B41 movement in the Montbrillant (which is essentially the same in terms of function with a chronograph and date complication etc, but with a 3, 6, 9 subdial config) has 38 jewels (if my memory is right!). It doesn't mean that one is necessarily "better" than the other...... just different.

Historically, a higher jewel count was associated with higher quality watches, although too many jewels were also thought to make a watch less rugged as jewels can break more easily than metal components. But if ruggedness is not necessarily a consideration, more jewels may lead to a longer watch life as there is likely to be less wear. However all this is dependant on movement design and it certainly does not necessarily follow that more jewels mean higher accuracy.

As I say, all Breitling movements are COSC certified so a 25 jewel B13 is as accurate as a 38 jewel B41.

Hope that helps a bit.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:26 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Driver8 wrote:
James wrote:

To be honest there's not a lot in it in terms of reliability or accuracy. All are COSC certified, and all are pretty reliable. Breitling say that the B13 is the most tried and tested, but that's because it's based on the Valjoux 7750 which is one of the most widely used movements around. Number of jewels tends to mean that a movement is more complex internally, but not that it necessarily has more complications - it just means that there may be more parts moving next to one another that requires more jewels to reduce friction. Yes it's true that movements with lots of complications tend to require more jewels, but some relatively simple movements can have a reasonably high jewel count as well. For example the B13 with a 6, 9, 12 subdial config and date complication has 25 jewels, whereas the B41 movement in the Montbrillant (which is essentially the same in terms of function with a chronograph and date complication etc, but with a 3, 6, 9 subdial config) has 38 jewels (if my memory is right!). It doesn't mean that one is necessarily "better" than the other...... just different.

Historically, a higher jewel count was associated with higher quality watches, although too many jewels were also thought to make a watch less rugged as jewels can break more easily than metal components. But if ruggedness is not necessarily a consideration, more jewels may lead to a longer watch life as there is likely to be less wear. However all this is dependant on movement design and it certainly does not necessarily follow that more jewels mean higher accuracy.

As I say, all Breitling movements are COSC certified so a 25 jewel B13 is as accurate as a 38 jewel B41.

Hope that helps a bit.

Intresting...but is it true that the more jewels there is the more vibrations per hour a movement can dilver? or in other words, is there a direct colleration between the two attributes?

Time is precious, keep it with elegance!
-Alien13-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:22 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi Driver 8, your points and comments made a lot of sense, thank you. Really appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:02 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Driver8 wrote:
James wrote:

Hope that helps a bit.

Good to know! :thumbsup: