Abyss Silver 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Abyss Blue 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Abyss Red 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 53
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:28 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 0 post
So I went and put eyes on a Blackbird LE Red Strike of course polished, and it's just not for me. Thought this was going to be my next watch, but not in polished it's not! I simply can't reconcile a Blackbird with that flat black simple dial and tons of contradicting shiny bling.

Reconsidering the Superocean 2010 as my next watch, but couldn't try one on in the metal. I'm thinking black dial, but the yellow just says Breitling. Worried it will wear small at 42mm on my wrist, and the yellow will have it wear even smaller. Not sure about the bezel or the font either, but as a sporty watch on a DP II deployant, it might just come out fine. My daily is a Colt II Auto in silver, and it wears as small as I like. I thought the Abyss silver might wear a little bigger, but never having seen one, I can't say if it complements the bezel or the arabics etc. Also, not big on the 3 different fonts, date, arabics & bezel.

Really on the fence is the SO II is a good idea... Hoping my friends here on the forums will steer me the right way!

It's either that or hold out till the spring and go with a regular brushed Blackbird. I lot more money, and totally different applications! Might be worth waiting for the Blackbird to see what they do next for in-house; go with SO II for now.

Thanks all, can't wait to hear your input!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:50 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I voted yellow. I have a yellow Seawolf, both SS and TI. I really like the Breitling yellow watches. I also have a brushed Blackbird. I have considered the inhouse movement and have come to this conclusion, the movement doesn't move me! Some will want the new movement and some will want a watch that is no longer available. I also have my eye on the blackeyegray BO1 though.

R/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:37 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 12 posts
I voted black, but I really don't like this watch so I'm not exactly impartial. I'd say definitely try one on first before you decide. I really really liked the SOII in pics but when I saw it in person and tried it on it was a disappointment. It felt very small compared to the Blackbird, which is only like 2mm bigger but it felt like more and the rubber bezel bothered me more than I hoped it would. I would have probably liked it more if it was 44mm. I know that there are plenty of members who love them and that's great, but you need to make sure that you see it in person before you decide to get one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 5 posts
I voted for the yellow, which is what I have. I was the opposite of roman4405. I hated the pics of this watch when it came out, but instantly liked it when I saw it in person. It does wear smaller than 42mm IMO. I think the only one that really looks like it is 42mm is the all black version. I also get the whole bezel arguement as it relates to diving, but I purchased this watch to take the place of my beater in my rotation...and I have the IWC Aquatimer 2000 if I ever need a watch for diving, so the bezel is not an issue for me. The only thing I would actually change about this watch is the size...I would really like to have seen it in a 44mm version.

I think the big issue with the SOII is that Breitling went SO far away from the design of the original SO that it really has created a dividing line in opinions. I think as time goes on you will see more people come around to it...much like the B01. I also hated that watch when it was released (mainly the bezel), but now I really like it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:05 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
john123 wrote:
I was the opposite of roman4405. I hated the pics of this watch when it came out, but instantly liked it when I saw it in person.

Same here. I was at my AD checking out another model and just tried the SO II out of idle curiosity. To my surprise I really liked how it looked and felt on my wrist. Like others I have a concern about the durability of the bezel insert, but I would definitely consider owning one in black. I can appreciate why the fonts/graphics aren't for everyone, but ultimately what I like about this model is its originality, which is what drew me to the Breitling brand in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:42 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
Sooner wrote:
john123 wrote:
I was the opposite of roman4405. I hated the pics of this watch when it came out, but instantly liked it when I saw it in person.

Same here. I was at my AD checking out another model and just tried the SO II out of idle curiosity. To my surprise I really liked how it looked and felt on my wrist. Like others I have a concern about the durability of the bezel insert, but I would definitely consider owning one in black. I can appreciate why the fonts/graphics aren't for everyone, but ultimately what I like about this model is its originality, which is what drew me to the Breitling brand in the first place.

I think that Breitling went SO far away from the original SO because their target is a much younger clientèle on this one. IMO, only time will tell if they were right.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:13 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I've tried on the all black SO II and it definitely wears in the small side...feels much smaller than Chronomat or B01.

Great build quality though, especially the case and coin edge bezel. I also think it's well-priced compared to Breitling's other offerings.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:24 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

B01fan wrote:
I've tried on the all black SO II and it definitely wears in the small side...feels much smaller than Chronomat or B01.

Once you're used to a bigger piece, it's difficult to go smaller.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:48 am 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

I used to own a Colt II, and my yellow SOII wears larger to me. Im not nearly as OCD with my watches as some people here, so I usually dont notice the number font on the bezel (except for times that I read a thread like this one and then I go look at it lol), and although I probably wouldnt have designed the watch with that font, I dont find any particular problem with it. My favorite part of the watch is the dial. I love the matte finish, the font and finish of the numbers, the chunky lume and hands, and the yellow tipped seconds hand. The one thing that I dont like about it is the lack of a pointer or triangle. Lumed or not doesnt bother me, but when timing things it would be a lot easier with a pointer. The center of the 60 lines up perfectly, but its not as easy to see at a quick glance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:25 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Thanks for othe input guys, much appreciated.

I will take your advice roman, and wait to try one on before I decide.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:31 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

If you are not feeling the SOII what about the Avenger Seawolf?

Diameter: 45.40mm
Thickness: 18.50mm
and its brushed

Robust watch if you ask me...

Breitling - Chrono SuperOcean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:18 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Sasho wrote:

and its brushed

I hesitated between that and the Steelfish for a very very long time (as many members of the forum, I guess) but the Steelfish finally won. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:19 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 12 posts
Sasho wrote:

and its brushed

Given a choice between the two I'd go with the Wolf all day every day, but it's a big ass watch, just ask Sharky. Looking at the stats on-line I didn't think it would look that big, but seeing one in person really gave me a perspective of how thick it is, I still love it though and I'm not one who only likes big watches, the Seawolf is about as big as I can go, anything bigger on me looks weird. Personally I love the Seawolf and the Steelfish and it changes pretty much everyday which one I like better. I think the Fish might be a bit more versatile just because it's a bit smaller, but they're both awesome in my mind and if you have a dress/casual watch and want something sporty I think the Wolf on an OR would fit into that category pretty well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:32 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I went with black because it is the least obnoxious to me, the colors have a plastic look to me. Actually the whole watch has a Casio look to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:36 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

exnucboy wrote:
Actually the whole watch has a Casio look to me.

:mouthdrop: