The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:21 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi, I am somewhat new to the forum and recently bought an Avenger Skyland, my first automatic timepiece. I just purchased a watch winder to keep it in. My question is... Does it matter which way the winder rotates? It has settings for clockwise/counterclockwise/both. I have it currently set at for both directions at 10 min. rotate/ 90 min. rest. Can anyone give me any insight if this is correct or not?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:29 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It will only wind clockwise and needs 800 tpd.

You'll have to check with your winder to see how many tpd 10 on / 90 off will give you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:44 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Roffensian wrote:

You'll have to check with your winder to see how many tpd 10 on / 90 off will give you.

If I understand you correctly, are you referring the direction in which you would turn the crown to wind the watch? What I am asking is which direction (or if it matters) the watch winder should rotate the entire watch. Also, I am unfamiliar with "800tpd"???

Please excuse my ignorance, as I mentioned before, I am brand new to the automatic movment game :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:30 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Nuge wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

If I understand you correctly, are you referring the direction in which you would turn the crown to wind the watch? What I am asking is which direction (or if it matters) the watch winder should rotate the entire watch. Also, I am unfamiliar with "800tpd"???

Please excuse my ignorance, as I mentioned before, I am brand new to the automatic movment game :oops:

No worries, the clockwise direction Roff referes to is the actual direction the winder needs to rotate the watch in order to wind it, the automatic winding mechanism only works if the watch is rotated clockwise, if it is rotated counter clock wise it will not harm the watch, but it will also not wind it. In your case you need to set your winder to clockwise.

Also "tpb" turns-per-day, your winder will need to rotate the watch clockwise a minimum of 800 times in a 24 hour period to keep the watch fully wound, any less and it will slowly wind down over time if left on the winder.

The instruction for your winder should tell you how may rotations in the 10 mins on time the winder makes, if it doesn't just count them, once you know that and also knowing the winder is on for 10 mins, then off for 90 mins you can calculate how many turns per 24 hour (1440 min) period the winder will make, if it's more than 800 you are good to go.

Or, you can just multiply the amount of turns you observe in the 10 minute on cycle by 14.4 (1440/(90+10))to give you the tpd.

Hope that helps.

S

Last edited by Sparwood on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 5 posts
:yeahthat . The winder will rotate the entire watch 360 degrees in a clockwise motion (to the right for a full revolution).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:32 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Sparwood wrote:
Nuge wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

No worries, the clockwise direction Roff referes to is the actual direction the winder needs to rotate the watch in order to wind it, the automatic winding mechanism only works if the watch is rotated clockwise, if it is rotated counter clock wise it will not harm the watch, but it will also not wind it. In your case you need to set your winder to clockwise.

Also "tpb" turns-per-day, your winder will need to rotate the watch clockwise a minimum of 800 times in a 24 hour period to keep the watch fully wound, any less and it will slowly wind down over time if left on the winder.

The instruction for your winder should tell you how may rotations in the 10 mins on time the winder makes, if it doesn't just count them, once you know that and also knowing the winder is on for 10 mins, then off for 90 mins you can calculate how many turns per 24 hour (1440 min) period the winder will make, if it's more than 800 you are good to go.

Or, you can just multiply the amount of turns you observe in the 10 minute on cycle by 14.4 (1440/(90+10))to give you the tpd.

Hope that helps.

S

That's great. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the info! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Just to add a small bit to Roff and Sparwood's info packed posts...

If you find the number to be higher than 800 TPD, it's OK, as there is a clutch that will prevent the watch from being overwound. It's not necessarily good to leave the watch fully wound all the time but overwinding is not a huge concern.