Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Navitimer 809 Question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:20 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I am a big vintage watch fan, but have normally collected Longines, Omega, Le Coultre etc.

I just picked up a late 1960s Navitimer 809 and had a couple of questions.

Did these normally come only with leather straps fitted? All the period literature seems to show that (I'm not a big leather strap fan, so may fit a period correct metal bracelet).

Does anyone happen to know what stem size the Venus 178 came with - I want to replace a non-original crown.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Yes, they (Mesh bracelets) were an option that could be ordered / purchased

this is a 22mm from an 1965 AVI , the bracelet was bought in 1969, they are offered from time to time on Ebay and there's always a lot of interest and subsequent high price ($800-900)

here's one that was recently sold

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0704712368

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:57 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. My watch is a gold plated case, so wouldn't work well with a stainless bracelet anyway, which nicely allows me to sidestep the issue of outrageous price.... :mrgreen:

I was thinking more of a suitable after market bracelet that would fit the 1960s era.

An example - this after market (Gemex) gold band works well with the 1950s Futurematic I have (I see someone is currently trying to sell this band for $450 on ebay and wish them luck - I paid about $30 in a bunch of NOS stuff a few years ago).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
There were no GP 806 bracelets, the only thing I saw were some aftermarket Speidels, not a good fit at all to put it mildly. Nice Futurematic btw, congrats.

Would suggest to try on a brown croc. Fits nicely.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:14 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Yeah, is is so easy to have a modern band just clash with the watch, for reasons often hard to articulate, and so hard to match a band to a watch so that it looks right. I could look at a later Bentley style two tone, but I think they will be too modern. I shall ponder before acting on this. I am just not a very big fan of leather bands.

Here's another vintage band that works, I think. On a 1956 Omega. It does, however, give it a bit of a lounge lizard ambience.....

I wonder if a beads of rice style would look about right on the Navitimer?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

well, I'm afraid this quest will prove to be quite adventurous. Putting a Bentley two tone on a 60s 809 might be taking it a bt far, though if you like that Omega you might have a look at some GP Speidel stretch bracelets, you might actually like those too, going for around 20 to 30 bucks. It is your watch and only your taste counts here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:53 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I wasn't suggesting that the bands on the Le Coultre or Omega would suit the Navitimer! Those are two of my most outre bands, but I just think they happen to match the style of the respective watches. I probably gave the impression that I am the Liberace of vintage watch collectors! :wink:

For the Navitimer, something much more conservative seems in order - along the lines of the original beads of rice Omega bands I have on my pie pan Constellations, perhaps. I'll certainly give the leather a decent trial first though.

In regard to restoration, the numbers on the Breitling are as usual with tritium numbers, faded out now. I do not like redoing them with something like Superluminova, because it is the wrong colour, and because it is easy to get a botched numeral restoration that takes away from an otherwise decent vintage dial.

What are others views on this for the Navitimers - leave well enough alone?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
wspohn wrote:
What are others views on this for the Navitimers - leave well enough alone?

yup.. unless you can find , and need, a decent better one , like this . But it looks like this one doesnt have any lume at all ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Breitling-Navit ... 0964738430
but for a cosmo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:56 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Without knowing why you don't like the leather, take a look at some of the custom makers - ABP are my favourite - www.abp-paris.com. I'm not suggesting that a maori print suits an 806 / 809, but there are so many options there that you can find a classic look that still allows some personality to show through.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:45 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

How far does one go to restore a user grade watch? The crown is not signed, and two out of the three subdial hands look wrong to me (the right hand one looks ok, is that correct)?

The watch has about the right reserve (44 hours or so) and keeps time, and I'm going to save the leather strap on it and fit a later metal strap made for after market use on later Navitimers, just because it suits me.

It's a case of when to leave well enough alone. Opinions?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

as you said, two of the subdial hands are replacements, correct GP Navitimer crowns are very, very hard to find, though afaik member chronodeco is getting some soon, you might pm him, they will probably not be around for long.

not sure regarding hour/minute hands, afraid they are wrong too; saw similar hands quite recently, was it Mexico ?

dial looks fine, pushers (the little we see) seem unworn, strapwise have a look how it works for you on brown calf or croc, goes well w/ the GP navi; braceletwise let us see what you find, this will be interesting.

if the power reserve is at 40 hours plus and all works fine, service is not a must, though you should consider it if you plan to have this watch as a keeper.

nice, congrats.

love your Futurematic btw., though the bracelet .....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:51 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments.

To assuage lingering doubts about my fashion sense, I do tend to keep bands/bracelets more or less stock, although leather isn't my first choice generally.

1999 Speedmaster (often my daily user, and forgive the pens, I took these pictures for a fountain pen thread matching pens and watches).

Some collectible Le Coultres (which I don't normally wear)

Whimsical skeleton Vulcain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:19 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

PS - yes, the hands are also apparently replacements. Does Breitling still supply hands from 60s watches?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:03 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
wspohn wrote:
Does Breitling still supply hands from 60s watches?

Nope, not even the same company. Hands are not always that easy to find, but sometimes the restorers can scour them out and we have our own here - member chronodeco.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:28 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks - I've sent a message to him!