The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:07 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I think I originally posted this in the wrong topic group so I apologize if you are reading this for the second time:

I would greatly appreciate any help in identifying this watch. Any thoughts on likely age and a rough idea of value would be welcome.

The back is marked "Breitling Serie Limitee" with two numbers: 175 and 178, that I assume indicate the series number. The back is gold and marked 18K.

No markings on the front other than Breitling and Swiss Made.

Thank you.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:49 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Welcome to BreitlingSource.

I have deleted your duplicate thread to avoid confusion, and I'm afraid that I don't have good news on this watch.

The caseback is a complete fabrication, and the bridge has had the original maker's name ground out of it very badly before someone put the Breitling name and logo just as badly. The dial is a redial - it's just a stamp with the Breitling name on it. The case, crown and hands aren't Breitling either.

I'm sorry but this watch is a complete fake.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:05 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Hi Roffensian,

excuse when i contradict you complet in this case. Its is an absolut genuin and well known Breitling. Its is one of the remaked original Breitling from Ernest Schneider when he bought the Breitling company. Made in 1984 from original parts of 1940 which where in the old stock, made from Breitling self, with the old logo "Breitling" on the dial. Look similar watches in Benno Richter page 129
or look in my museum-shop, item Nr. 286.

regards Michael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:09 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

breitlingmuseum wrote:
Hi Roffensian,

excuse when i contradict you complet in this case. Its is an absolut genuin and well known Breitling. Its is one of the remaked original Breitling from Ernest Schneider when he bought the Breitling company. Made in 1984 from original parts of 1940 which where in the old stock, made from Breitling self, with the old logo "Breitling" on the dial. Look similar watches in Benno Richter page 129
or look in my museum-shop, item Nr. 286.

regards Michael

I'd forgotten that Schneider issued LEs - my apologies, you are correct.

However, did he really do that to the bridge?????

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:18 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

he did it

if you want, please upload my photo Image

2 years ago was absolut the identic watch in german ebay with an expertise of TRAUTMANN (german Breitling general importer)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:35 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks so much for responding so quickly on this. I tried to find BreitlingMuseum's referenced watch but could not. Can you provide a link? I also don't think I can research back as far as 2 years on ebay.de.

I have the opportunity to buy this watch but am a complete novice when it comes to Breitlings, or watches in general for that matter. My wife is in the Jewelry business (that is how we have come across it) but is also no watch expert. I would have been surprised if it was a complete fake, however, as the last owner was very wealthy and it looks like he wore the watch frequently.

Would you be willing to give me an indication of it's value? Or point me towards some other similar examples I can find online?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:30 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Quote:
Or point me towards some other similar examples I can find online?

Look ebay item No. 330368712164

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:34 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

some other photos.
up: my watch of page 129 of Benno Richter book
ImageImage

ups, now again my photos dont uploud. Look in google searcg the german breitlingforum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:28 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 19 posts
330368712164 on ebay has a Landeron cal 13 movement - very odd. Craig

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:56 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

chronodeco wrote:

Michael is right about Schneider's LEs and I had forgotten completely about that.

I'm still not completely happy about this one though - if it were my money I would pass. The bridge treatment worries me - Michael's picture still shows the original Breitling and Schneider used Breitling parts - so why remove what was already on the bridge??????

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:08 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
They are pretty pieces, but not genuine Breitling. There was one on eBay a while back and it confirmed to me that they are not made by Breitling. Of course, there are several incorrect pieces is Richter, but it's still a good book and useful reference.

Breitlingmuseum or Norbert or Michael (name, identity, and location seem to change frequently) is not a qualified judge of authentic watches. One look at the watches he has for sale will prove that he is either a charlatan or very ignorant of correct pieces.

As to the one under examination here, Schneider did not acquire any movements or equipment, just use of the Breitling name. The movements went to Helmut Sinn and Albert Wajs in liquidation. If he made a limited edition watch, he would have needed to source a new supply of vintage movements.

I've wondered about these vintage-looking limited edition watches and can't quite figure them out. The one shown here looks very bad with a former name removed from the bridge. Surely a nice, new watch would come with a better looking bridge. What's inside the caseback?

I've looked for catalog or advertising copy for these. Until I see some, I'm not very persuaded these are produced by the new company. I've seen a few come across eBay (is there one there now?), so maybe they were made by the modern company, but shouldn't we find them in a catalog or something? It hasn't been that long ago, after all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:13 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Bill,

I've seen you observing around here before - good to see you post, I hope that this is the first of many.

For those of you who haven't come across Bill in 'other places' he is a true gentleman and an extremely knowledgeable Breitling collector.

I'm glad that you and I are broadly aligned on this particular piece - it gives me some reassurance that my gut reaction wasn't too far out (though I do still feel stoopid for forgetting the LEs).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:30 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
That is very kind. Maybe my motto should be "nothing beats catalog copy."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:16 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Quote:

Yes they where sold with different calibres, all what was in the sock.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:18 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

They are pretty pieces, but not genuine Breitling. There was one on eBay a while back and it confirmed to me that they are not made by Breitling. Of course, there are several incorrect pieces is Richter, but it's still a good book and useful reference.

Code:
Breitlingmuseum or Norbert or Michael (name, identity, and location seem to change frequently) is not a qualified judge of authentic watches. One look at the watches he has for sale will prove that he is either a charlatan or very ignorant of correct pieces.

As to the one under examination here, Schneider did not acquire any movements or equipment, just use of the Breitling name. The movements went to Helmut Sinn and Albert Wajs in liquidation. If he made a limited edition watch, he would have needed to source a new supply of vintage movements.

I've wondered about these vintage-looking limited edition watches and can't quite figure them out. The one shown here looks very bad with a former name removed from the bridge. Surely a nice, new watch would come with a better looking bridge. What's inside the caseback?

I've looked for catalog or advertising copy for these. Until I see some, I'm not very persuaded these are produced by the new company. I've seen a few come across eBay (is there one there now?), so maybe they were made by the modern company, but shouldn't we find them in a catalog or something? It hasn't been that long ago, after all.

And why they where comming with TRAUTMANN (old german Breitling general importer) certificat ?