The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:32 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Liked in: 0 post
Great post! That C-17 is puurty..

Count me in as another one who is surprised at the size of the predator drone. Once they start to arming that thing to the gills its gonna be an incredible asset and can keep a lot of soldiers out of harms way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:51 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

RJRJRJ wrote:
Count me in as another one who is surprised at the size of the predator drone. Once they start to arming that thing to the gills its gonna be an incredible asset and can keep a lot of soldiers out of harms way.

I believe it's got close to a 50' wingspan to it and capable of carrying 2 Laser Guided Hellfire missiles. Flight control is accomplished through satellite technology and they can be piloted from the base of origin or they could turn over flight control to a pilot all the way on the other side of the globe in Las Vegas. The Air Force has a bit of difficulty finding airmen that want to pilot the drones because the pilots do not get to be in an actual cockpit and experience the actual thrill of flying.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:23 pm 

Montexn wrote:
RJRJRJ wrote:

The Air Force has a bit of difficulty finding airmen that want to pilot the drones because the pilots do not get to be in an actual cockpit and experience the actual thrill of flying.

Sometimes you just have to protect people from themselves!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:49 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
Montexn wrote:
RJRJRJ wrote:

I believe it's got close to a 50' wingspan to it and capable of carrying 2 Laser Guided Hellfire missiles. Flight control is accomplished through satellite technology and they can be piloted from the base of origin or they could turn over flight control to a pilot all the way on the other side of the globe in Las Vegas. The Air Force has a bit of difficulty finding airmen that want to pilot the drones because the pilots do not get to be in an actual cockpit and experience the actual thrill of flying.

The first Predators had a wingspan of 48', while the Predator B has a wingspan of 66'.

Although Predator ground control can fit into a 30ft trailer if needed, UAVs currently operated in Afghanistan and Iraq are operated from MacDill AFB, FL, even though the squadron is based in Creech AFB, NV.

As far as UAV pilot training goes, the USAF has activated a new training squadron located at Randolph AFB, TX, to train aircrew on how to remotely operate these aircraft. There are currently 60 students assigned for training in the new squadron, with that number very likely to increase up to 120 by the summer of 2011.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:14 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Wow Tomcat....now did you know that or did you Google it?...come on fess up...LOL.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:40 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Montexn wrote:
Wow Tomcat....now did you know that or did you Google it?...come on fess up...LOL.

Well, I just had a look in my yearly Aerospace Source Book 'cause I knew that the Predator B was bigger but did not remember by heart the exact dimensions.

For the rest, you can find it easily in weekly publications like Aviation Week&Space Technology to which I've been a subscriber for the last 22 years. Proportion of UAV articles is up because definitely this is the future. The number of countries using UAVs is rising by the day. Clearly the US has the edge here, and by far, but it would be a big mistake to underestimate other countries.

As for the chopper info, I am also a subscriber at Defense Helicopter which had recently published some articles on this exact topic: the harsh combat environment for helicopters in Afghanistan and Iraq, heat, sand, height etc.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:38 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Good stuff Tomcat, you really would have loved being on the flight line over there sir. I learned quite a bit living the experience and got to see quite a bit of cool stuff. Not too mention being shot at too, which is an experience that isn't quite as enjoyable. I should qualify that last bit though, as it was not direct fire. The flight line seemed to be the main objective that the insurgents targeted and when you are driving a truck with 5,000 gallons of JP-8 up and down the strip you tend to take it a bit personal...LOL.

Another tidbit of info, did you know that you can stop the flow when you are standing at the urinal and even run with your "business" in your hand to seek cover when you hear an incoming rocket? Something I never thought I would have to experience, but it's amazing how fast you can zip up on the run and it does make for a funny tale ....LOL. On another occasion I beat the entire Canadian flight crew of a C-130 I had just topped off to the bunker when we started taking incoming. When I asked them why the were chasing after me, they said that at the high rate of speed I was moving and the determined look on my face that it looked like I knew where I was headed and they figured it best to follow suit. I had to rib them a tad since they were all fit young men and here I was out distancing them. Amazing the motivational effect a 120mm rocket exploding about 100 yards from you when you are next to a fuel truck can have.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:27 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

:wowzers Montexn, nothing like some live action to keep you going, eh? Not bad for your age, not bad at all :bow:

True, as much as I would have loved being on the flight line to see my favorite toys in live action, as you said, I sincerely lack your experience. I would need some serious training before attaining your level.

And how do you react when you take incoming (after having taken cover), is there a response of some sort or if it is a rocket, as in this case, it's up to the airborne guys to take out the threat?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:53 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Cool pics!

The Russian birds especially! I'd be scared to death to fly in one though. It just seems Russian aircraft have poor safety records. The drones are AWESOME!!!! Amazing pieces of technology!

Luckily, I live in a city with an Air National Guard base. Home of the 188th FW. We see all kinds of military traffic. It's awesome to be in the airspace with these professionals when they are on maneuvers. We have huge MOA that covers nearly half the west-central part of Arkansas. We get visitors from all over the US. E-6B's from Tinker, C-130's from Little Rock, C-17's occasionally, and the C-5...but they are rare birds to see here. I've seen a few NASA T-38's on fuel stops, and T-6A and T-38's from Sheppard AFB on training flights here too. We see quite a few helicopters. Chinooks, AH-64's, UH-60's, and last weekend I had two Marine AH-1's fly over the house. I've only seen one CH-53 and one Osprey here. AWESOME!

The installation here in fort Smith has had the A-10 now for three years. Previous aircraft operated here were the F-16 (1988-2008), F-4 (1979-88), F-100 (1972-79), F-101 (1970-72), F-84 (1957-70), F-80 (1956-57), and B-26 (1953-56).

188th FW A-10 Home of the "Flying Razorbacks"

F-16's (circa 2007)
Tail of the Commander's F-16

F-4C (taken 1987)

Some other birds I've shot at FSM

F-117 (retired)

"The Rhino" We see several of these on the weekends.

Caught this on my way to TacAir just after Hurricane Katrina

I have several others, but they are on my PC at home.

Enjoy-

~Brian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:38 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Flynbyu wrote:
Cool pics!

The Russian birds especially! I'd be scared to death to fly in one though. It just seems Russian aircraft have poor safety records. The drones are AWESOME!!!! Amazing pieces of technology!

Luckily, I live in a city with an Air National Guard base. Home of the 188th FW. We see all kinds of military traffic. It's awesome to be in the airspace with these professionals when they are on maneuvers. We have huge MOA that covers nearly half the west-central part of Arkansas. We get visitors from all over the US. E-6B's from Tinker, C-130's from Little Rock, C-17's occasionally, and the C-5...but they are rare birds to see here. I've seen a few NASA T-38's on fuel stops, and T-6A and T-38's from Sheppard AFB on training flights here too. We see quite a few helicopters. Chinooks, AH-64's, UH-60's, and last weekend I had two Marine AH-1's fly over the house. I've only seen one CH-53 and one Osprey here. AWESOME!

The installation here in fort Smith has had the A-10 now for three years. Previous aircraft operated here were the F-16 (1988-2008), F-4 (1979-88), F-100 (1972-79), F-101 (1970-72), F-84 (1957-70), F-80 (1956-57), and B-26 (1953-56).

Some awesome shot Brian...I love that shot of the A-10 you got and the F-117, I've not gotten to see one of those live before. Like Tomcat, the A-10 is one of my favorites, it such an awesome weapons platform. With it's huge weapons payload capability, it can be configured to meet many diverse situations. I see another of my childhood favs on your list which is the F-100 Super Sabre, the first fighter capable of supersonic speeds in level flight. By the way my son is stationed at Little Rock AFB which is where they train all of the C-130 crews and where most of them are based according to him.

Looking forward to seeing some more photos when you get a chance to share them sir and thanks for sharing those....great shots!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:31 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Montexn wrote:
Flynbyu wrote:
Cool pics!

Some awesome shot Brian...I love that shot of the A-10 you got and the F-117, I've not gotten to see one of those live before. Like Tomcat, the A-10 is one of my favorites, it such an awesome weapons platform. With it's huge weapons payload capability, it can be configured to meet many diverse situations. I see another of my childhood favs on your list which is the F-100 Super Sabre, the first fighter capable of supersonic speeds in level flight. By the way my son is stationed at Little Rock AFB which is where they train all of the C-130 crews and where most of them are based according to him.

Looking forward to seeing some more photos when you get a chance to share them sir and thanks for sharing those....great shots!

Yeah, really awesome shots you have there Brian. I just made that A-10 pic my new desktop background. I would love to see some more when you'll have the occasion.

And, thanks for sharing. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:07 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Roffensian wrote:
F14D_Tomcat wrote:
Montexn wrote:
why do you think I'm over here in Iraq.

And I thought it was because you wanted to race some bloody Canucks into cover. :) :) :wink:

That's extremely offensive.

Canada has more than 150 casualties in Afghanistan during the length of their mission there.
F14D_Tomcat wrote:

JacksonStone wrote:
Ah, c'mon Roff...tell me this doesn't make you smile at least a little bit.

Montexn wrote:
Another tidbit of info, did you know that you can stop the flow when you are standing at the urinal and even run with your "business" in your hand to seek cover when you hear an incoming rocket? Something I never thought I would have to experience, but it's amazing how fast you can zip up on the run and it does make for a funny tale ....LOL. On another occasion I beat the entire Canadian flight crew of a C-130 I had just topped off to the bunker when we started taking incoming. When I asked them why the were chasing after me, they said that at the high rate of speed I was moving and the determined look on my face that it looked like I knew where I was headed and they figured it best to follow suit. I had to rib them a tad since they were all fit young men and here I was out distancing them. Amazing the motivational effect a 120mm rocket exploding about 100 yards from you when you are next to a fuel truck can have.

Also, I think this comment makes it clear the level of respect Mr. Tomcat has for everybody's fighting men and women:

F14D_Tomcat wrote:
It is only after discussions like these that one can realize how passionate these men and women are for the dangerous job they are doing. And how proud they are to defend yours and mine freedom. They know the danger they face everyday and they expect it but it is part of their everyday life, so they have learned to live with it and it does not influence their operating mode.

Now, if he specifically meant to exclude Canadians from that statement, I can see how you would be offended. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he did not. :wink:

Well, thank you Jackson, I did not intend to hurt Roff's or anyone else's feelings. It could have been a British C-130's crew that Montexn raced to cover.

Rather than hi-jack JacksonStone's thread http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24895&start=15 I thought I would address this over here.

The war in Afghanistan is being fought in large part by US Servicemen, however NATO is also supporting the war on terror by providing a large contingent of service members from many other nations. I count myself lucky for having the opportunity to work and serve with such a diverse group of men and women gathered to fight such a noble cause. The loss of even one life is too many and the value of that life cannot be measured, but those of us who either serve or work over here in support of the war on terror know the risks.

We all understand the risks we have put ourselves in, but it never diminishes the fear one experiences when faced with these life threatening events. That being said, one cannot dwell on the what-ifs over here, for to do so would hinder one's ability to perform their job functions as well as make them a liability to those around them.

We each find our own coping mechanisms to deal with the 12-16 hour days required of us, being away from our loved ones, the hostile environment, and the direct/indirect fire that can come without warning at any time. By and large many of the folks find that laughter is one of the best methods of coping with these challenges and is a way to relieve the stress. As weird as it may sound, I've witnessed this laughter present after many various life threatening events over here and I have to say it's good medicine.

I can't begin to tell you how many "Ramp Ceremonies" I've witnessed which have been conducted by one or another country during my time over here. For those of you that do not know what a "Ramp Ceremony" is, this is when those that have given the ultimate sacrifice are honored on the flight line by their respective units just before they are put on an awaiting aircraft for the final voyage home. In spite of loosing comrades, friends, and loved ones in this struggle, these young men and women persevere in order that the rest of the world can maybe be just a little bit safer as a result of their actions.

The type written word is easy to misconstrue without the added ability to read body language or hear tonal inflections when it's delivered. I personally saw nothing offensive in Tomcat's jibe and believe him to be a man of intellect, integrity, and good moral fiber. It is also my belief that none of the fine folks I have come to know over the short time I've been here, would ever intentionally disrespect or dishonor those that haven given of themselves so others may be free. So it is my hope that when one reads this and future posts, they try to understand the overall gist of the message, rather than being too unjustly judgmental about it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:51 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
Well said, and equally well received.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:47 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Here's a little something else I thought you guys would find of interest. I was reminded of this actually just a few moments ago when it engaged a target or else was being test fired, at any rate I jumped out of my skin when it went off. Trust me the Youtube video does not do the sound level justice that one experiences when one these units which is stationed ~200 yards from your room engages.

C-RAM system (Counter Rocket, Artillery, and Mortar)
The U.S. Army announced its counter mortar weapon systems successfully intercepted 100 enemy fired mortar bombs protecting multi-national Corps Iraq assets. The Centurion systems, a ground based version of the 20mm Naval Phalanx point defense weapon was declared initial operational capable in July 2005. It scored its first intercept in March 2006. Since then, C-RAM system deployed in theater provided over 1,500 localized warnings, allowing troops time to take protective cover.

The system works like this: When the on-board radar detects an incoming object that falls within a preset series of parameters (bearing, closing speed etc.) and determines it to be a threat, it opens up with its 20mm cannon (actually five cannons that rotate like an old-fashioned Gatling gun to increase speed of fire and reduce the overheating of the barrels) and fires a stream of extremely dense high-explosive projectiles at the target in almost unimaginable rapid fire. It tracks not only the incoming target but also its own projectiles so that it can constantly correct its fire towards the center of the target's mass. It will not cease fire while there is still even a tiny portion of the target continuing to close on a threatening bearing.

It is truly awesome to observe... and quite effective. It fires so rapidly (between 3000-4500 rounds per minute)that the human ear can hardly discern a break between the individual projectiles being fired. It sounds more like a buzz saw than a machine gun. It has a success rate of about 70-80%. Oh, and need I point out that firing bullets at incoming rockets is a hell of a lot cheaper than firing rockets at them. Each 5th round is a tracer and at night with it's rapid rate of fire, it resembles a red laser beam in the night sky.

The below link is actually footage taken at the base that I am currently stationed at. :guns: :guns:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj1_8Of0DPI

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:23 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

While I was at it I stumbled across another interesting development I thought ya'll would find of interest, since some of you like the UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles), this is one currently being tested by the Navy.

The X-47B Pegasus will be the first unmanned jet aircraft to take off and land aboard an aircraft carrier. With a 62ft wingspan and length of 38ft, the X-47B is about 87 percent the size of the F/A-18C aircraft currently operating aboard Navy aircraft carriers.

The introduction of unmanned combat aircraft on board aircraft carriers will open revolutionary new capabilities for military aviation and naval aviation capability in particular. Scott Winship, Northrop Grumman vice president and Navy UCAS-D program manager defines the new capability as 'sea change in military aviation'. Captain Martin Deppe, the U.S. Navy Unmanned Combat Aircraft System Program Manager explains the Navy's vision “We look forward to a time when we can introduce a new long range, persistent, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) -- strike capability to the carrier decks of tomorrow."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next