The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:37 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi I own a 2010 Steelfish which I picked up in April 2011. It was originally purchased at an AD and was in perfect condition. This was my first automatic and somewhat expensive watch.

I have kept great care of it and other than a few minor scratches its still like new.

Up until a few months ago it ran within COSC time - always on the fast side but usually ~+4 a day.

The past few months it has slowed down - I started to chart it yesterday so I am not certain how much, but it is perhaps -10seconds a day if I were to estimate it. IMHO a slow watch is much less desirable than a fast watch.

I also know that -10 secs/day is minor compared to a watch that needs to be degaussed.

I called a Breitling AD who has Breitling authorized technicians - and the salesgirl was unable to give me a ballpark figure on what a regulation would run me. One of the technical guys will apparently call me but has yet to.

I have read thru many threads on here where people say they have been charged exorbitant fees for regulation and to have the seals checked (which I'd also like to have done).

Has anyone recently had a SF or similar Breitling into an AD for a regulation/seal check, and if so what did it run you?

I live kind of far from where I would like to take it, and don't want to drive all the way there to learn its an $800 job for apparently 5 minutes of work.

The orig owner purchased it at Turneau and I don't trust them for this.

If the Breitling AD tries to soak me for this, could a regular reputable watchmaker do this? My SF had a 2 year warranty which expired last August. If I were to have just a regular watchmaker do this would it screw up my ability to get future service with Breitling?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm not cheap and when I bought the watch and became interested in expensive watches I understood that service could and would become expensive. I'm just not sure i want to pay that much for a minor job - I'd rather wait until it needs an overhall and spend the money then.

Take care,
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:13 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I had an old SF of mine regulated by (bizarrely) a Rolex approved watchmaker after my AD at the time told me I've have to send it all the way back to Breitling for a simple regulation! The Rolex place had all the equipment to pressure test the case afterwards (which they did), and the whole thing cost me about £20 if I remember. Rolex to the rescue there!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:14 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well it sounds to me as though it may need that service now. It's not magnetised, that would cause gaining not losing, but a regulation isn't going to address the fact that the watch has an inconsistent rate. If it has gone from +4 to -10 thena rregulation won't address that, it will simlly 'reset' the watch to around +/- 0 and it may well then start losing time again.

If the watch was sold new in 2010 then it's entirely possible that it is now 5 years since manufacture and a service is due. If you do want just a regulation then no parts are involved and an independent watchmaker can certainly do the work. Cost should be minimal -$30 or so, but be wary of anyone who can do it in 10 minutes. They should insist on keeping the watch for at least 24 hours to time it in different positions and offer to further adjust it after a week or so if real life accuracy differs from the timing machine.

Edit - Driver8 got there first due to my fat fingers on this phone!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:16 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
I had my Breitling AD regulate an Avenger Skyland and fix a haywire bezel click spring for $60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:54 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

I have graphed it out with an iPhone app I got for free last month (lazy :)) and its actually around -5.8s a day which is a lot better for me than the -10s/day I had initially estimated.

I do have a few other questions: ROF - after I made my initial post, now that I think of it, I am not sure when the last time it was running around +4/day.

If this wasnt a fast steady progression, but a slow unnoticeable one, would you still think a regulation would be futile?

Second, when I was researching the purchase of this watch I seem to remember people having issues with BUSA - even for simple procedures - and eventually would demand to have the watch sent to Switzerland....still the case? I also know that there are always horror stories out there.

Thanks again for the advice.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:56 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Ive had a bunch of work at BUSA, all good so far. Comunication has been good too.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:02 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
boeckelr wrote:
If this wasnt a fast steady progression, but a slow unnoticeable one, would you still think a regulation would be futile?

A regulation will reset the rate to as close to + / - 0 as possible, but if something in the watch is causing that rate to 'wander' then the regulation won't help.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:09 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I checked and the watch was manufactured in the 2nd week of 2010. So it is 3 years old.

I think if its not super expensive I might try having it regulated as I want the seals to be checked also....but regardless, if the time continues to slow down I will have to send it in for its 5 year overhaul.

Like I said this was my first foray into nicer watches and I guess my first servicing will be an eye opener but like someone said maintaining a car isn't cheap.

My watch fund is quickly building up and I want the next to have an in house movement. While I like some of the recent in house Planet Oceans I think my next will be an El Primero.

Take care.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:04 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
I paid 35 in Boulder, CO. Came back really nice I think they oiled it too. Went from +10-12.5s per day to +2-4s per day which I think is perfect. Now though I usually regulate it myself if I hit something hard enough to warrant, next service I do though is likely complete overhaul (I've heard they just replace the movement if its 17 jewel 7750). Though at 3 years nothing more than a service should be needed.