The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:52 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
Just a few things as I don't have much time on my hands right now but just wanted to give some thoughts on this watch.

The first time I seen it was in a photo. My first thought on it was that it was a great watch. A lot of people bashed it on this board at first, seeing that the bezel was too thick.

Anyways, got to check it out a couple weeks ago and throw it on the wrist at a local AD. I have to say that this is one of my favorite watches. I didn't get to try it on with a bracelet, but I bet it will look so much better. I am not a fan of the rubber on the Bentley GMT as it looks a bit strange.

Best believe if I find a good deal on one of these down the road I will have to snag one of these up. 8)

Breitling Chronomat (White Dial)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

It's grown on me. Especially since I've been throwing it on the wrist every time I stop by the AD ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:15 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I don't dislike it as much as when I first saw it, but.....

I still think the bezel is too thick, and I still think that the date is too hard to read because of it's location.

I also find that the only combo that stands out to me is the gold on rubber, and I can't imagine owning a Bentley on a rubber bracelet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I actually like the watch very much, and I don't mind the wider bezel either.
I agree with Roffensian, no Bentley should have a rubber strap, or part rubber strap.
It looks a bit odd to me, having the date inside one of the subdials. Other than that, I like how the subdials stand out.
Personally, my favourite of the Bentley lineup is the 6.75.
As far as the GMT goes, I think the black dial with racer bracelet is outstanding looking. I haven't seen one in person, and that makes a difference. I judged the new Seawolf before I saw it, then I saw it and loved it, now I have one.
Cheers,
Carl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:20 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
gips30 wrote:
Just a few things as I don't have much time on my hands right now but just wanted to give some thoughts on this watch.

The first time I seen it was in a photo. My first thought on it was that it was a great watch. A lot of people bashed it on this board at first, seeing that the bezel was too thick.

Anyways, got to check it out a couple weeks ago and throw it on the wrist at a local AD. I have to say that this is one of my favorite watches. I didn't get to try it on with a bracelet, but I bet it will look so much better. I am not a fan of the rubber on the Bentley GMT as it looks a bit strange.

Best believe if I find a good deal on one of these down the road I will have to snag one of these up. 8)

I loved this watch from the get go and would just love to have the rose gold one with black dial. I will someday have this watch. It may take a while to save for it but I will be keeping my eye on it. I'm with you on the GMT gips30, could luck finding one! :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:35 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
It HAS grown on me, but only in certain colours, and definitely not enough to want to own one.

I dislike the thickness of the bezel, and I also dislike extreme taper of the bracelet : it looks good at the head, but it gets "thin" very quickly and looks like a Pilot by the clasp.

I just think the overall effect is less classy than the over Bentleys, but hey, that's just me.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:59 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
I too initially considered the bezel to be too thick – too much knurling. But after checking one out at the AD, I have identified what isn’t quite right IMHO – the font on the inner bezel depicting the locations is too fine. It’s a bit like the difference in inner bezel font size/thickness between a Navi and a Cosmonaute. With the GMT’s fat bezel, a more pronounced inner bezel would have balanced the whole deal, I reckon.

Other than that, it is an impressive watch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:17 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
For broadly similar money (less so since Zenith price lifts here in Canada) you can get a Zenith Multicity, and to me that's a class above the GMT.

That said, whether the watch is for me or not, I am pleased that Breitling is pushing the brand into new directions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The first watch it reminded me of (not dial wise) was the Hublot Big Bang. They too aren't very cheap and come on rubber...