The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:58 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I'm new to this forum and I joined specifically to acquire information about a quartz Breitling watch that recently came into my posession. It is marked as a Breitling Navitimer 2400. It has both analog and digital functions with a LCD or LED display in the lower center of the face. It has a second smaller analog display on the band that shows time in Greenwich Mean Time. The letters GMT are engraved into the two-toned gold and silver band. I'm curious to know its age and further curious to know why I can't seem to find much information on this timepiece. I'm planning on selling it at auction on eBay, so any thoughts on the value would also be welcomed. I appreciate any feedback that anyone could provide. Many thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:00 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Some pictures would help us out. Check out the "Gallery" section for information on how to upload photos, then we can take a look for you.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:45 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
Made during 1980 - 1985, the Navitimer 2400 quartz (Ref 81470) is called the "Cosmos". I've also seen it referred to as the "Mars" - not sure if this is an official name or not. It is a close relative of the 2100 Pluton and 2300 Jupiter models. Next to no information about it anywhere but the movement is the same for all three models - a Swiss ESA Y2 900231. I suspect differences are just down to the dials/bezels.

Here's a pic from Navitimer.net

Based on the lack of information on the 2400, it would seem to have been the least popular model and so I imagine will be somewhat rare. The movement in this range does not have the best of reputations (Breitling changed to a Japanese quartz movement for later Plutons/Jupiters) and once it goes wrong,from what I can gather, that's it - it can't be replaced/repaired. As a result, I would imagine only collectors would be in the market for this watch rather than someone looking for a cheap Breitling for daily wear. As to what it's value is, a tatty one without the bezel but in working condition sold for €290 last month. The UTC module will add to the value but I would see anything over £400 as a bonus

You may be interested to know that a gold Cosmos, claimed to be a gift from Breitling to King Hussein of Jordan, is currently on sale at chrono24 for €8,900. You'd have thought with the current price of oil he wouldn't need to flog his old watches :P

Let's see some pics of yours!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:16 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Here are some photos of thw Breitling Navitimer 2400 for which I seeking further info.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn25 ... G_1465.jpg

Thanks for looking.[/list][/list][/code]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:22 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Larab1 wrote:
Here are some photos of thw Breitling Navitimer 2400 for which I seeking further info.

That is very odd!!

The Mars that Sharkmouth references is definitely right (always trust Navitimer.net), but that is a very strange bezel for a Navitimer - the key to the navitimer range is the slide rule bezel which that doesn't have - very odd.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:37 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Larab1 wrote:

is that genuine ? looks fake to me

Post subject: Navitimer 2400 Quartz
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:02 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

In response to the question of it being a fake, it belongs to a friend who purchased it in Buffalo, NY from a reputable jewelry store, so it is authentic. It's been in his posession all these years. Recently, he wanted to sell it because it did not work. We were able to find a Swiss ESA Y2 900231. I movement from a European source and replaced the broken one. I suspect the comment that these movements were unreliable was accurate. In any event, I haven't heard any comments about the auxiliary analog movement and the GMT engraving on the band. I'm wondering if Breitling made very many of these. That is what makes this watch so unique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:31 pm 

Liked in: 1 post
:shock:

Never seen anything like that before!

Please keep us informed of anything you find out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:10 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I've got one on my wrist right now - where it's served reliably since 85. I WOULD like to find a new movement for it! Breitling won't support their own product with spares, which is STUPID.

Al

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:56 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
lrn2av8 wrote:
I've got one on my wrist right now - where it's served reliably since 85. I WOULD like to find a new movement for it! Breitling won't support their own product with spares, which is STUPID.

Al

Not really - try finding any spares for mid 80s electronics. Oh, and the movement isn't a Breitling product - it was supplied by a 3rd party that no longer makes them or parts - not Breitling's fault.

This is the inherent problem with quartz watches - they eventually become obsolete.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:02 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

A year ago I met a representant of Breitling Switzerland at a reception for the opening of the new store of my AD. After his speech it was cocktail hour and we got to talk to each other. He stated that the quartz mouvements like the ones built into the new Aerospace / Emergency / etc.. will be supported in the same way as the mechanical mouvements in the future. He also said that it is true the quartz movements of the '80s where not exactely superb quality and that even they could not source the parts since they did not make them, like Roff said.

LOUIS VUITTON TAMBOUR DIVERS
PANERAI LUMINOR