Blackbird (any version) 75%  75%  [ 18 ]
Chrono-matic 49 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 24
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:04 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi guys,

I am new here and to Breitlings. I am very torn between 2 options. The Blackbird or the Chrono-matic 49. My wrist is pretty large @ 8.5 inches and I'm in love with the look of the Chrono-matic but really like the everyday usability of the blackbird. I need opinions please!

The Blackbird I'd get is the Red Strike in Matte finish. I know people don't seem to like the Red Strike version, so Vote as if it was your choice in style. Here's what they look like on my wrist:

I resized for easier viewing.

Heres originals full scale

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1269/option1m.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5503/option2j.jpg

Last edited by bradshawpe on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:15 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Although my wrist is only 8.25" I tried on the blackbird & it didn't look right. Confirmed by the dealer & my wife. As soon as I tried on the super avenger it looked more natural on my wrist. My hands are fairly large so that could be the reason as well. Anyways since the chrono matic is around the same size as the SA if not a little larger I would say the Chrono is the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:40 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

inrealtime wrote:
Although my wrist is only 8.25" I tried on the blackbird & it didn't look right. Confirmed by the dealer & my wife. As soon as I tried on the super avenger it looked more natural on my wrist. My hands are fairly large so that could be the reason as well. Anyways since the chrono matic is around the same size as the SA if not a little larger I would say the Chrono is the way to go.

My wrist is smaller at 7.5" and I too parted with my BB for a larger watch. My ideal size as a daily wearer I would say is 45-46mm, but the BB was just too small for my taste. The black dial doesn't help it any either. No way with an 8"+ wrist would I buy a BB as much as I do like the brushed version.

PS... I voted before reading the post. Had I read it first I probably would not have submitted my vote.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:30 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Detesting the red strike I would suggest the 49

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:51 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the advise guys. I'm never indecisive in fact indecisive people annoy me. I just cant decide!

I like how unique the chrono-matic looks and I love the size. It's one of my favorite looking watches. My biggest thing holding me back from it is the lack of any real water resistance. I want a watch that I can wear all the time, swimming, skiing, mountain biking, etc. without feeling like its going to break. I want this watch, but more of a 2nd watch that'd I wear less often.

As for the blackbird, its my favorite traditional looking chronograph watch. I like the symmetry, easy legibility and the matte finish. I really like the bracelet too. The biggest problem is that is seems so small on my wrist.

As far as other options, I could go for the Super Avenger but for some reason it doesn't appeal to me visually. I like the size though.

I really like the styling of the Chronomat GMT as well as the additional GMT function it comes with. I just can't swing the extra few grand and I don't like how its only offered in polished Stainless Steel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:52 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I voted Blackbird, but ONLY if it's the brushed/black dial version : I'm not a fan of the Red Strike at all.

The CM49 would be fine if it had a steel bezel and a left hand crown.... but it doesn't.... so it isn't.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

A large wrist sure makes it more difficult. But I have to say, if you were my friend I would probably be very direct in saying the BB is too small for you, and I'll say it here too because I really believe it to be the case. It's funny because many guys love some of the bigger watches but don't have the wrist to support them. I fall right in the middle which I figure isn't a bad place to be.

In your situation this is what I would buy. (But the new version - stenciled numbers and big wings) White SA on an Ocean Racer. I have always loved the look of this. (stolen pic)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:41 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I love the Red Strike and I'm fairly sure I'm going to get one this weekend, I have quite small wrists so it fits quite nicely. Originally I had tried the Chronomat B01 Limited Edition on in the shop and in person looks very similar to the Red Strike but due to it being a bit bigger the BB fits me better. If you like the BB Red Strike but want it bigger maybe this would be a compromise?

http://www.thefinestwatches.com/index.c ... ctId/18281

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:03 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

It tried on the limited edition Chronomat 01, but it doesn't look any bigger on me than the BB.

Is it possible to have the finish changed on a Chronomat GMT? The only thing holding me back on this model is that's its a bit more than I want to spend and the finish is polished. If I could swallow the price and have a matte finish put on it, I may do this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:51 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
I personally don't love the Red Strike... but, this watch isn't for me. It sounds like the chrono-matic may not fit every criteria you are looking for, i.e. swimming etc. Think long and hard, and try to make a rational decision.. good luck. BTW, you can't go "wrong" on either, they are both exceptionally made watches and either one will be capable of lasting and functioning for a long long time to come. Let us know what you decide on!

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:01 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

So I went back to my AD again just now. I tried on the Chronomat GMT, and added it to my picture in the first post (the seiko is my current watch I purchased when my wrists weren't so large). I think I've decided to stick with the Blackbird. My wrist may be huge but my hands aren't that big, they're pretty normal for my height (6'0"). It looks the best at an angle, especially half under my shirt. The extra thickness of the GMT kinda bugs me a bit, its tough to wear under a shirt and I'd feel like it gets in the way with some activities, I certainly couldn't golf in it, I'd feel like it slow me down while swimming, and it might hurt banging around while riding my mountain bike.

I've added an off angle pic...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:09 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
bradshawpe wrote:
I certainly couldn't golf in it, I'd feel like it slow me down while swimming, and it might hurt banging around while riding my mountain bike.

You may want to look into a Casio G Shock for those activities!!

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:13 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
Blackbird, not even close IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:21 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Decided, I'm very happy. I got a very good deal on it as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:12 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
Alan M wrote:
Detesting the red strike I would suggest the 49

OP said any version BB, so no need to take the red strike if you don't like it.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.