It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: And...I'm out...
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:14 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Drtymrtini wrote:
These things go in "phases" for a company like Breitling because it doesn't know how to lead in the industry. Look at a competitor like Rolex. I don't see Rolex offering 8 new watches with a bunch of different colors, rubber bezels, and 44mm+ timepieces. Rolex has maintained its course and moves forward making changes when it makes sense to make changes. Over the last few years, Breitling has been chasing fads and has done a huge disservice to the brand.

I'm glad I bought my BlackBird when I did because if I were to discover Breitling today, I would more than likely not give the brand a second glance. It saddens me that a Breitling is what originally lured me into my love of watches and now I won't even consider buying a new model.

Well said.

I personally think there are a couple of highlights in the current range, but it's pretty telling that the only ones I like, apart from the Chronomat 01 LE and the Flying Fish, are all basically modern recreations of classic models - the Navi 01, the Transocean Chrono, the 1461, etc - and that's pretty sad IMO. There are just so many different designs and colours in the range now that it looks like they are struggling to find a direction and formula that works.

I remember a few years ago that I'd wait with baited breath for the new Chronolog to come out and then I'd be drooling over 90% of the models in there. Nowadays I'm just happy if there's a single new model that I don't mind, let alone like.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:22 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
This comment applies to the "When is it enough" thread as well.

I don't understand why some of you guys are selling your entire Breitling collection because you don't like the current direction of the company....You bought your watches for a reason...and the lousy designs that have recently come out shouldn't change/effect older watches. The qualities that attracted you to those watches in the first place haven't changed.

It just seems a little drastic to sell something you have prized and loved for years just because you dislike current models and pricing.

Instead IMHO hurt Breitling by not buying anything new....and they will eventually get the picture....

I too dislike what Breitling has been doing, but if I see a used B that's nice I won't let the current direction of the company affect my buying decision.

Just my $.02.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:36 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I am attracted to Breitlings because of my love for aviation. They make the "best" watches for pilots IMHO. As long as they continue to provide aviation offerings better than the competition I will continue to buy Lings.

The older timers may not like the direction the company is going but the company maybe attracting new customers who like the current models. We do not have the sales figures to make a judgement on that. Breitling maybe making money based on the current direction. If that is the case there may not be a need to change direction just yet. If they are not making money they will change the current strategy.

If you do not like the current offerings or the prices are too high I will pass but I would not get rid of the really good ones that I have in my possesion.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:07 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Mavrick wrote:
The older timers may not like the direction the company is going but the company maybe attracting new customers who like the current models. We do not have the sales figures to make a judgement on that. Breitling maybe making money based on the current direction. If that is the case there may not be a need to change direction just yet. If they are not making money they will change the current strategy.

they very well might be more appealing to the newer consumer. and they have every right to try and attract new business. to me the changes that they make are just way too drastic.

personally i dont see anything wrong with getting rid of your breitlings if you no longer like the brand. and i think thats what happend to most of the core breitling fans. sure brands change things and add stuff to their lineup...but as of late it just seems breitling wants to be everything to everybody. what the heck kind of sales tactic is that? Its almost like someone in upper management said "hey we need to sell more watches" than some idiot in marketing pulled some sales stats and consumer trends and walked this report over to the design department and told them to add some things so they can try to capture fragments of various demographs to accomplish this.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:30 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I understand why you are leaving, these new designs are crap , and the pricing has gotten out of hand. I too may be jumping ship soon. I think I may be going back to Rolex or a Pam. Breitling makes great watches , but in the current decade we are in they are lost!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:24 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
dhalem wrote:
I just shipped off my Navi 01. For the first time in a long time, I no longer own any lings. I'm not sure I will again soon.

Sergio was in the same situation sometime ago but it didn't last long. :wink:

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
F14D_Tomcat wrote:
dhalem wrote:
I just shipped off my Navi 01. For the first time in a long time, I no longer own any lings. I'm not sure I will again soon.

Soon as my CSO sells, which is very close to happening, I'll be ling-less again and this time it may be for awhile. Unless I land a deal on an Olympus.

Last edited by mfserge on Tue May 31, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:34 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

mfserge wrote:
F14D_Tomcat wrote:
dhalem wrote:

Soon as my CSO sells, which is very close to happening, I'll be lintless again and this time it may be for awhile. Unless I land a deal on an Olympus.

You see? It won't last for long this time either :lol:

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:05 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Quote:
don't understand why some of you guys are selling your entire Breitling collection because you don't like the current direction of the company

If anything the fact that I already have the ONLY model I liked in the new lineup seems to encourage me to hold onto the remaining Lings I have. Otherwise I might sell some here and there but it's easier to do that when you know the AD's case is filled with other models you like. But ya never know now, do ya. :wink:

I don't think there is much sentiment, as has been suggested, to sell watches people have and like to spite Breitling. Rather for most of us and some of us more than others, we tend to move some watches to assist in acquiring others or because a model we liked has fallen out of favor or for whatever reason not getting the wrist time.

The point is, if we sell a couple Lings to get something else we want and if there are no new Lings in the case we want, sooner or later you see what is happening here - people brought to fine watches by an attraction to the Breitling lineup starting to find themselves Breitling-less.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:19 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

sharkman wrote:
people brought to fine watches by an attraction to the Breitling lineup starting to find themselves Breitling-less.

Odd situation indeed.

But personally, I didn't buy my Lings to sell them a few weeks later. Even if it was for buying another fine piece. I bought them for keeps. So, I will never be Beitling-less. Then again, that's just me.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
F14D_Tomcat wrote:
sharkman wrote:
people brought to fine watches by an attraction to the Breitling lineup starting to find themselves Breitling-less.

Odd situation indeed.

But personally, I didn't buy my Lings to sell them a few weeks later. Even if it was for buying another fine piece. I bought them for keeps. So, I will never be Beitling-less. Then again, that's just me.

The old Serg would turn this into a bash-fest on Breitling...but the new Serg will just say that while Breitling makes a nice watch, there are other watches that NOW appeal to me much more. When I first got into watches, Breitling was the hot brand to me. The more watches I've owned, the more watches I have tried on, and the more research I have done, Breitling has appealed to me less and less and less. Therefore...out with the old and in with the new.

boeckelr wrote:

I don't understand why some of you guys are selling your entire Breitling collection because you don't like the current direction of the company....You bought your watches for a reason...and the lousy designs that have recently come out shouldn't change/effect older watches. The qualities that attracted you to those watches in the first place haven't changed.

Not sure who is selling their Breitlings because they don't like the new direction of the company. That would be foolish. I only sold my Lings because there are other watches that I like more and fit me better.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:35 pm 

Liked in: 33 posts
Quote:
The old Serg would turn this into a bash-fest on Breitling...but the new Serg will just say that while Breitling makes a nice watch, there are other watches that NOW appeal to me much more.

Invasion of the body snatchers??

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:51 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

sharkman wrote:
Quote:
The old Serg would turn this into a bash-fest on Breitling...but the new Serg will just say that while Breitling makes a nice watch, there are other watches that NOW appeal to me much more.

Invasion of the body snatchers??

:uplaugh: