The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:52 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
javasko wrote:
#1) Breitling doesn't want to raise their prices. They didn't raise the prices in 2009 and they won't in 2010. Adding B01 movement to a current model will raise the price and I'm sure their marketing department is saying the bulk of customers aren't willing to pay that much more for a movement change.

#2) From a marketing prospective it might make the most sense to do a LE B01 in a current model. I suspect a major change like this can't be done at a reasonable price in small quantities so they aren't doing this either.

#3) Breitling doesn't want to dilute current B01 sales after only 1 year. They probably think the enthusiast buyer will buy a Chronomat B01 to get the new movement and then later also buy a second watch with the B01. Putting the B01 in another model would kill Chronomat B01 sales at a time when it's still "fresh" and can bring in "new model" buyers.

#4) Development for the Galactic line probably started before sales results were available for the B01. I suspect the Galactic line is going to come in at a much lower price point, which right now is key to staying in business.

In summary Breitling is making the right moves to stay in business. They are releasing LE pieces that don't cost them a lot to make and suits the LE buyers market and they are diversifying their line a bit and releasing lower price point lines to meet the needs of the shrinking economy. Keep in mind a new line is the only way they can do this because dropping the prices on current models would dilute the brand value.

Not to pick nits or anything, but some prices did go up in 2009, and the Cockpit (which we are all assuming is going Galactic) increased by >10% in some versions.

In terms of LEs at reasonable prices - Breitling LEs are never reasonable prices - well over $50,000 for a Chrono-matic QP in 2009.

I don't understand the logic that says that putting a B01 in another model will kill Chronomat B01 sales - Navitimer buyers tend to be different to Chronomat buyers, and there was certainly comfort in having the Chronomat and Chronomat B01 alongside one another. This year there is clearly comfort in having the B01 and Chrono Galactic alongside one another - a much more likely contender for Chronomat B01 customers.

I'll wait and see where the Galactics come in price wise, but I will be amazed if they are at the lower end.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:57 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
javasko wrote:
#1) Breitling doesn't want to raise their prices. They didn't raise the prices in 2009 and they won't in 2010. Adding B01 movement to a current model will raise the price and I'm sure their marketing department is saying the bulk of customers aren't willing to pay that much more for a movement change.

#2) From a marketing prospective it might make the most sense to do a LE B01 in a current model. I suspect a major change like this can't be done at a reasonable price in small quantities so they aren't doing this either.

#3) Breitling doesn't want to dilute current B01 sales after only 1 year. They probably think the enthusiast buyer will buy a Chronomat B01 to get the new movement and then later also buy a second watch with the B01. Putting the B01 in another model would kill Chronomat B01 sales at a time when it's still "fresh" and can bring in "new model" buyers.

#4) Development for the Galactic line probably started before sales results were available for the B01. I suspect the Galactic line is going to come in at a much lower price point, which right now is key to staying in business.

In summary Breitling is making the right moves to stay in business. They are releasing LE pieces that don't cost them a lot to make and suits the LE buyers market and they are diversifying their line a bit and releasing lower price point lines to meet the needs of the shrinking economy. Keep in mind a new line is the only way they can do this because dropping the prices on current models would dilute the brand value.
[/quote]

i disagree with most of that

as roff said a heck of a lot of prices went up in 09 and i have been assured they will in 10 as well.

they held prices flat on some lines for example the Mark 6 bentleys didnt go up and why? because they arent selling as well as they wanted as they addded the stupid platinum bezel to ramp the price up!!

the navis and chronomats are so different that they wont canabalise one another if someone wants a nav they will buy a nav in house mvmt or not, or if the in house nav is so important they will wait like many members are.

from what i have heard in the UK and u couldnt get a better source B01 sales were not going as well as had been hoped although they improved from the start position once the advertising kicked in fully.

the galactic-wank: line will no doubt be cheaper, god knows where they will fit in.

there are many better and lower risk ways to stay in business than a 180 on your design style that has worked for 125 years

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:23 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 3 posts
BTW, i spoke to my guy in basel, he asked specifically about putting the b01 movt in another watch and was told " at this time there are no plans to put that movement in any other case" and that if it did at any point it HAD to be a chronograph. also the other watches that were "LEAKED" he saw like the blacksteel flying b and gmt, so they are coming it looks like

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:28 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

FEAR wrote:
BTW, i spoke to my guy in basel, he asked specifically about putting the b01 movt in another watch and was told " at this time there are no plans to put that movement in any other case" and that if it did at any point it HAD to be a chronograph. also the other watches that were "LEAKED" he saw like the blacksteel flying b and gmt, so they are coming it looks like

There are always a few smaller announcements later in the show so the blacksteels make sense for that.

The B01 is an integrated movement, not modular so it would need to be a chrono, although it was designed to support 6,9,12 and 3,6,9 layouts.

I think the question that needs to be asked is about additional in house movements (let's not assume that it's the B01).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:31 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 3 posts
Roffensian wrote:
FEAR wrote:

There are always a few smaller announcements later in the show so the blacksteels make sense for that.

The B01 is an integrated movement, not modular so it would need to be a chrono, although it was designed to support 6,9,12 and 3,6,9 layouts.

I think the question that needs to be asked is about additional in house movements (let's not assume that it's the B01).

i will fwd that question along now, i'll let you know if i get an answer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:13 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Guys I'm here at Basel now. Actually the new Galactics are pretty sweet. Of course just a re-tooling several models with the B01 bezel and new names. Chrono Cockpit now the Galatic 39, Cockpit now the Galactic 41, Lady Cockpit now the Galactic 32, Starliner now the Galactic 30, and the new Galactic 36 is a nice intro... I'll have a full report when I get some down time.

A few observations, the Galactic 30 (formerly the Starliner) now also is available with an integrated strap and is a great look. The new bezel on the Galactic 32 looks nice and they re introduced the bronze dial which was discontinued a few years back. The Galactic 36 is only available in steel versions for now, but looks nice fully loaded... It should be a popular size with diamonds for the ladies. The Galactic 39 Chrono and 41 honestly look good, although it is different from what we are all used to. Not a big fan of the Chronspace, although it looks much better on rubber or strap than the bracelet in my opinion. There is a limited edition Chronospace with the Breitling Jet Team L39 on the dial instead of the big 3 and 9 numbers. This LE has a total of 500 pieces and is available on bracelet only. The new SO is sweet, especially in yellow. The black dial with silver dial ring on bracelet is sharp as well... Black Steel Blackbird on DP2 is my favorite of the PVD versions. SOH with Green bezel looks nice in the Chrono and non Chrono models. Took lots of pics and will post later. Didn't look much at Bentley...

Off to dinner in Zurich! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:10 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:

Not to pick nits or anything, but some prices did go up in 2009, and the Cockpit (which we are all assuming is going Galactic) increased by >10% in some versions.

In terms of LEs at reasonable prices - Breitling LEs are never reasonable prices - well over $50,000 for a Chrono-matic QP in 2009.

I don't understand the logic that says that putting a B01 in another model will kill Chronomat B01 sales - Navitimer buyers tend to be different to Chronomat buyers, and there was certainly comfort in having the Chronomat and Chronomat B01 alongside one another. This year there is clearly comfort in having the B01 and Chrono Galactic alongside one another - a much more likely contender for Chronomat B01 customers.

I'll wait and see where the Galactics come in price wise, but I will be amazed if they are at the lower end.

Great info here. I've never considered a cockpit so I had no idea they raised the prices on those..I see they also raised the price on the Airwolf...it's interesting the Cockpit line which appears to be being replaced by the Galactic line and the Airwolf which has a new cousin in the Chronospace were just about the only models that got price increases last year. Maybe Breitling was trying to position the market for these models to be replace? (Decrease the sales volume, increase the margins). When my company obsoletes a product we always raise the price on them to steer our customers to the new models.

Personally I don't think it would hurt to have a Navi B01 in the lineup, I was just trying to "think like Breitling". If I could get the B01 in nearly any other case I probably would, and if I'm not the only one you would surely see a drop in Chronomat B01 sales if there were other B01 options.

Finally - my prediction is the Galactic line will come in BELOW the 2009 Cockpit prices!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:03 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

javasko wrote:
In summary Breitling is making the right moves to stay in business.

I highly doubt that. If a brand dumps their DNA, their history design elements, their justification, it cannot be the right way. They even compromise their brand claim: Instruments for professionals. This claim is not valid for the new designed models anymore (Galactic, new SO etc.). Too bad. Functionality gone mad!

V.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:55 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

alex** wrote:
hmmmm have to say im not inspired

galatic range (stupid f*****g name) is a good idea but breitling why oh why have you put a B01 bezel on them, this year you should be changiing the B01 bezel not adding it to more watches.

look we told you the starbust airwolf dial was shit, you chnaged it and its now a winner.

why are you ignoring us!!!

chronospace ...... eh really why? its ok but i dont really get the point??

stop the blacksteels, the best release on that page is sadly the BB BS and the single reason for that is the blackbird is awesome as it was given youve just dunked it in DLC and shoved a rubber strap on a near £6k watch and it can still look good is testiment to the BB design and not the recent job lot dunking of volume discounted DLC syrup you seem to have over purchased.

seriously you could have done 2 things this year and we'd have been happy

1. fix the B01 so it doesnt look shit

2. put an in house movement in something already decent like the BB or Navi world

well that would have made me happy!!

on the plus side the release of new models will certainly save me some breitling cash as they are pants i can buy some of the old ones and maybe some discontiued bits shand

to the new lings i say:

:guns: :lingsrock:

Absolutely hit the nail on the head. Couldn't agree with you more. In fact i think Breitling are being quite arrogant and a plain stoooopid thinking we are gonna buy this Buck Rogers ugly sh*t. I love my TT chronomat but as a brand they are really turning me off any future purchases. They are flooding their product lines with ugly, cheap looking designs - i just don't get it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Dear Breitling:

Bite me.

Best,
Altair

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:22 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 46 posts
What a disapointment....

Seriously...the new Superocean, or a Planet Ocean?

The choice seems easy to me. :?

Breitling Navitimer 01
Omega Seamaster 300mc
Omega Speedmaster Pro "Mitsukoshi Mod"
Seiko Prospek Orange Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:01 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 4 posts
is it me or the breitling raised wing logo in new models galactic 36, 41 and blackbird blacksteel look more elaborate than the normal raised wing logos

looks diferent and better

Omega Planet Ocean Chrono 9300 Co-axial Ceramic on SS bracelet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Can't really see on the posted photos of the Galactic 41, but the applied wings logo doesn't appear to be different.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:48 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Altair wrote:
Dear Breitling:

Bite me.

Best,
Altair

:uplaugh:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:45 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Some more real world shots - this time courtesy of the Purists. Includes some shots of the Bentley BlackSteels, er I mean 'Midnights' and looks like the Ravens remain.

http://basel.watchprosite.com/show-foru ... 98461/s-0/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next