The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:52 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
OH No!!
I spent 5 years drooling over breitlings in ADs windows, i dont think this lot would of had the same
effect.The Chronospace looks as if a child has crossed a SOH a steelfish and a airwolf, the colt GMT+ looks like a cheap TAG replica, I kind of like the new SO but i think face and bezel font will look so dated in no time at all. Bring back the old style bezel..

At this point in time NEW BREITLINGS do not rock
:guns:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Firstly, thanks for posting up the pics Roff - you saved my hair from being pulled out! :wink:

I've just got home and now been able to log onto the Breitling site anyway, so I can now see them in all their er...... "glory".

So then, what can we say about this year's models?

Cosmonaute LE - It's OK at best. Nothing exactly revolutionary here. Still too small (for me) and I really don't like the white inner ring on the dial - just makes it too busy IMO, and even more so when you add in the gold elements. Hate the bracelet as I always have since it first turned up, but I guess that's remedied by sticking it on a strap.

Legende LE - Again, not exactly revolutionary, but then nothing is with Breitling this year I guess. I like the fact this model now has silver hands to match the markers and the steel case. A personal bug-bear with the standard model was the gold hands as it makes the hands look like they ran out of silver ones so just stuck some off a TT model on it. This one rectifies the problem quite nicely. The main downer for me is that they moved the date window from 6. They could've still left it at 6 in the subdial, but between 4 and 5 it looks a bit odd as it's a white date wheel. If they'd made it a black date wheel it'd have worked much better IMO. However, I still prefer this to the standard Legende. (Sorry Legende owners).

Blackbird LE - Looks nice enough, but it's the ho-hum DLC trick YET AGAIN. Oh and with <shock> red accents! Wow, the R&D boys really went to town here. :roll: The idea tank has officially run dry folks. Now, if they'd gone the ceramic case route like Panerai, IWC, etc, then maybe it'd garner some respect, but as it is? No thanks, the brushed original is much better.

I'm going to lump all the (comedy-named) "Galactic" models ( :lol: I can hardly say that without sniggering at it!) together. They all just look like an exercise in BLANDNESS. The bezel makes them look like TAGs or any number of other lower end makes out there. The Buck Rogers bezel strips away a vital piece of Breitling DNA from the watches IMHO. One of the other guys has said it already, but I total agree that using that bezel on the wider range is a mistake of...er..... GALACTIC proportions, not least because it's confusing the B01 Chronomat with other non-B01 equiped pieces. I kind of had a grudging acceptance that the reason for that hideous bezel was just to distinguish the new B01 Chronomat from the rest of the range for a while. But now that idea is knocked into a cocked hat. It also makes me wonder EVEN MORE (if that's possible) why they didn't stick the B01 in an existing case..... like a proper-bezeled Chronomat, or a Navitimer for example. :roll: So, in summary the Galactic models are an INSTANTLY forgettable range.......... if it wasn't for the childish name! I mean...... "Galactic"! *chuckle, snigger*

Chronospace - Firstly, I'd like to say it's great to see a name from Breitling's halcyon days making a return, and I'll be honest...... I actually don't hate it! :shock: I quite like the oversized 'saw-tooth' bezel and it does at least show some originality. However I'm not a fan of the MAAAAA-HOOOOOOO-SIVE numbers on the dial! That 3 and 9 must be at least a cm square! They're way thicker than the hands, which looks a bit odd to me. It also seems to have a bit of a mulitple personality complex as the movement is modern aviation-style quartz, those circular markers remind me of a divers watch, the large case is a modern shape, but the bracelet is the mesh style that is usually reserved for retro re-issues. Hmmmmmm.... :huh I don't hate it, but I certainly don't love it either. But it is the most interesting thing so far...... which ain't saying much!

Seawolf Chrono Blacksteel - If DLC had never been done by Breitling before, then it would've been fine. As it is it's just a total waste of time IMO. (Same comments as for the Blacksteel Blackbird apply). A pointless exercise from an ideas-bankrupt think tank. Enough said.

And last, but by no means least, the TAG Heuer 1984 Classic - Oops, sorry, I mean the Breitling Colt GMT. :lol: I'm waiting for TAG Heuer's lawyers to see this one, as obviously someone at Breitling has gotten hold of a copy of some TAG blueprints from the 1980's and thought they'd shamelessly copy them! If it wasn't so boring it'd be a complete steaming pile of excrement!

So there we go. After the underwhelming release of the SOOOOOO much anticipated B01 last year, this Baselworld goes to prove one thing - things can always get worse!

To me this really shows that Breitling is undoubtedly moving away from the "Instruments for Professionals" ethos that was part of what attracted me in the first place. They are sadly becoming something of a fashion brand, and that really disappoints me.

The other thing this year's collection seems to say to me, is that while Breitling are undoubtedly short of ideas, I have a sneeking suspicion they may also be short of cash too. :shock: Everything in the new collection is nothing more than evolution instead of revolution. At least 7 of the new models look to me as though they are reusing existing cases, and there is nothing new about any of the movements. Maybe developing the B01 movement (and then chucking it into the deeply unpopular B01 Chronomat case) has really taken it out of them financially? Who knows..... Either way I wouldn't be surprised if Breitling end up being subsumed into the Swatch, LVMH, or (heaven forbid) the Richemont empires before long. If it happens it'll be a sad day for the heritage of the brand, but if it means the brand gets a proper direction, then I may be all for it.

Oh well, only 364 days to Baselworld 2011. :roll:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Maybe the issue of money is a real issue at Breitling. Maybe they didnt have enough money to pour into development of new models post the bo1. I actually understand why they didnt stick the BO1 movement in another watch although I dont agree with it, I understand it, but the Galactic range whilst it may be a sales success doesnt help the brand at all. Its a confusing addition to the Breitling range. These types of decisions dont help the brand or help keep brand value in the watches people buy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:24 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

ive just got my first ling (CA) and i love it.the problem is there is also soooooo many more i would love.fortunatly for me this thread has not added any more to my wish list.i geuss there is a bright side
thanks daz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:45 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I think the space cadet bezel on the new Galactic models is just fine. After having worn a B01 daily for a few months now I can tell you that it is a good example of "form follows function". It is exceptionally easy to read (as is the dial), even in certain poor lighting conditions. The slanted edges give a good grip against the riders and the ratchet action is sturdy, but easy to move. And of course the lume index marker is sweet.

I also think the new SuperOcean looks pretty cool. My only gripe is that I think it might look better with brushed steel.

It seems to me that they are moving towards sharper differences between the lines:
Windrider: refined
AeroMarine: solid
Navitimer: classic
Professional: tool

...or something like that.

Overall I must say I don't quite share your pessimism, guys :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:14 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

WTF? Everything is horrendous. That new Superocean looks like it doesn't know if it wants to me a Blancplain or a Breitling. Breitling just mixes way too many different font/number styles. There is 5 different font types on that Superocean. No identify to the watch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:29 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Does anyone think the Legende LE looks too normal? I mean the regular Legende looks more special to me with the gold hands and symmetrical dial. Whatevers...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:34 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

I personally dont mind a Galactic line. As long as those design cues stay within that line and dont muck up every other model line I dont think theres a problem. More lines equals more choice. I figure that as Breitling fans, we've always embraced choice, unlike some (e.g. Rolex fans) that get upset if a new model doesnt look identical to every other model over the last 50 years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:57 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
As a B01 owner, I'm extremely irritated with the Chrono Galactic. At first glance, it looks WAY too similar to a B01. I wasn't initially a fan of the B01 bezel, but it's grown on me a lot since I started wearing the watch last October. I thought Breitling would keep the bezel unique to only the B01. Seeing not only the bezel on other watches, but also seeing essentially a copycat B01 released this year really cheapens the B01 for me.

It seemed like a Navitimer with the B01 movement would be a slam dunk for them in 2010 . . .

-Craig

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:01 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I'm happy people in this community have got access to a guy like George who can provide us with some great deals. If I had spent 12k in Australia on buying my B01 Id dead set be spewing that Breitling had stuck the b01 bezel on the Galactic, luckily the price paid was extremely reasonable compared to the B01 price in Australia.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:02 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
RJRJRJ wrote:
I personally dont mind a Galactic line. As long as those design cues stay within that line and dont muck up every other model line I dont think theres a problem. More lines equals more choice. I figure that as Breitling fans, we've always embraced choice, unlike some (e.g. Rolex fans) that get upset if a new model doesnt look identical to every other model over the last 50 years.

Fair point, but unless I missed something those design cues are now in two ranges - Galactic and Windrider. There has been no announcement about the B01 becoming a Galactic.

Breitling fans have certainly embraced a huge amount of change in recent years - the SOH / SOHC being the most obvious, but remember that the Bentleys have only been around for 6 years. The problem for me is not the amount of change, but rather the direction of that change. My collection is now at the point when I am crying out for something that looks totally different, but this kind of 'different' is just, well, odd - at least for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:11 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 49 posts
yes i believe odd is the right word. it seemed like a b01 navi would be a lay up for breitling....but hey the chronospace seems like it will be a winner LOL!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I am quite disappointed with the majority of the releases, but oddly I find the new SuperOcean quite attractive. I find that the styling doesn't mesh well with the current Breitling Brand, however. It looks more like one of those Divers that are made by independent companies.

Do we know if there will be a new series called "Galactic" separate from the Windrider line? There is no Galactic section on the website yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:19 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
breitlingsource wrote:
Do we know if there will be a new series called "Galactic" separate from the Windrider line? There is no Galactic section on the website yet.

Breitling are referring to it as the Galactic range, but haven't yet stated whether it will be a subset of Windrider or a split. Everything is in the 2010 Models section at the moment so I guess that's why there is no Galactic section.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:56 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

RJRJRJ wrote:

I don't mind adding choices, as long as Breitling puts the B01 in other models!!! I feel like the Galactic line, Blacksteel stuff, etc. are taking away effort from putting the B01 movement in other models....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next